𝙚𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩

flashback, two years ago, senior year of high school

arguments between her neighbors had escalated over the years, their voices increasingly strained and bitter. the boy next door often found himself retreating to his room during these confrontations comforting his baby sister, trying to block out the painful words and shattered promises that filled the air. he had grown tired of being the silent witness to their battles, his own heart heavy with the weight of their discord.

one evening, it all came to a head. the boy had been in his room, headphones on, trying to drown out the escalating argument downstairs. but this time, the shouting reached a deafening crescendo, and he couldn't ignore it any longer. he burst out of his room and raced downstairs, desperate to make them stop.

in the living room, he found his parents locked in a bitter standoff. their faces were contorted with anger, and the atmosphere was suffocating. the boy's voice trembled as he tried to intervene, "please, can't we just stop this?"

his words fell on deaf ears, and his parents continued to hurl accusations at each other, ignoring their son's presence. overwhelmed by a sense of powerlessness, the boy turned and ran out of the house, tears streaming down his face.

he found solace in sharing his pain with the girl from down the street, the one he had met years ago, in his freshman year. he went to her house, knocking on her door frantically. when she opened it, he was breathless and sobbing. through his tears, he choked out the words, "they're getting a divorce, and it's my fault for not stopping them."

the girl, understanding the weight of his words, took him into her arms, offering the comfort he so desperately needed.

.・。.・゜.・゜・。.

present time

the morning sun cast a warm glow through the windows of suna's childhood home. the atmosphere was significantly calmer now, though the scars of the divorce still lingered. suna's mother had managed to rebuild her life, and they had settled into a new routine.

suna sat at the kitchen table, sipping on his coffee, while his eight-year-old sister, mizuki, lazily chatted about her upcoming school agenda. their mother, busy preparing breakfast, occasionally joined in the conversation. the scene was a testament to the resilience of their family.

amidst the chatter, mizuki's innocent curiosity took a different turn. she turned her foxy eyes, curious eyes towards me. she was an exact copy of her brother.

"y/n, are you sick?" she asked, her brow furrowing with concern.

surprised by the unexpected question, i flashed a reassuring smile. "no, mimi, i'm not sick. why do you ask?"

her next words nearly made me choke on my own embarrassment. "you were making weird noises last night."

internally, i panicked, realizing that she had overheard us. i silently thanked the heavens that their mom was busy cooking to even listen.

with a faint blush now thoroughly coloring my cheeks, i explained, "mizuki, we were just playing a game last night, and, well, i got a bit... enthusiastic, that's all."

suna couldn't hold back his laughter, and it filled the kitchen as he chuckled at the exchange.

mizuki's curiosity persisted as she tilted her head to the side, clearly intrigued by my explanation. "a game, huh?" she pondered, her young mind trying to make sense of it. "it must have been a really fun game if it made you make those noises."