193 - The Kitsune Which Survived

(Amber POV)

His hand gripped my little one tightly, not allowing me to let go. He continued to walk forwards without a care, not one that I could see.

Tears stung my eyes and soaked my cheeks. I knew what was coming, and I knew what awaited me.

"No! Dad! Please!" I begged, tugging on his hand.

Let go of me!

Don't send me to die!

I had heard the stories.

I had heard the results.

He knew what was likely going to happen.

I tugged, thrashed, and did anything to get him to let go. And yet, he wouldn't.

Was I not enough of a good girl?

Was I too spoiled?

I know I made mistakes, but I'd always try to fix them afterwards!

And when they'd get angry, I was there to relieve it. I even made sure to hide the bruises!

After all, he's my precious Dad.

He only wants what is best for me. It's not his fault he can get a little angry. It's not Mom's fault either. They're hard at work with their special job.

So why?

Why are you sending me to die?

"No! Please!" I screamed, trying to do the opposite way.

We approached the machine. The entrance looked like a gaping mouth of a fearsome beast like those on the television, one ready to swallow me whole for all of eternity.

It looked like a black void of where people go when they're gone.

"No!" I cried as he pushed me inside the machine. I turned around only for the entrance to be closed shut. I slammed my tiny hands into the door, trying even though I knew, deep down, it was over.

This would be my end.

The machine started up.

My breath was getting heavy. I was feeling lightheaded. Some strange, burning sensation started to appear in my heart.

I clutched my chest in pain, kneeling down as I let out a guttural scream.

And then I blacked out.

My eyes slowly opened, revealing the ceiling of the room I had been in for years. I slowly sat up, letting out a sigh as I shook out that nightmare.

I climbed myself out of my bed, stumbling over to the bathroom connected to my room. I entered, shutting the door behind me and looking into the mirror.

God, I look like a mess.

I stared at myself, immediately noticing my very messed up hair, both the top of my head and the numerous tails behind me.

Six tails.

As a kitsune grows stronger, they grow more and more tails until hitting nine. That's been my goal for as long as I can remember.

To surpass her.

An image flashed through my mind. Myself, standing in front of her. And then suddenly where I was, there was Ken, with a knife stabbed straight through her heart.

Heart, huh?

I slightly parted my cleavage, looking at the scar on my chest, the one right over where my heart is. It was sort of like a burn mark crossed with a birth mark, but not quite like either.