Chapter 1

I was destined to be unfortunate since the day I was born. Ever since I came out of Mother's womb, I have been nothing but a disappointment and burden to the family name. Slowly making mistakes over the years I couldn't take back, Father had eventually found out. We were just trying to figure out how humans reproduced when I searched for "Girl kissing girl". My sister, Makayla, was disgusted at the sight of a woman embracing another. "Ew, how can you be normal to even be able to look at that?". I wasn't considered normal. Then one morning, Father burst into my room yelling and slapping me for looking at those videos. "Get your head straight and never look at such things again.", he said walking out of my room. At 7 years old, no child should endure such harsh beatings for merely being curious. Fuck, stop having those thoughts, today is a big day. 

Everyone in this household expected Father, CEO of Elitease, to give the company name and inheritance money to me. As the eldest sibling, I had done my job to be an absofuckinglutely perfect role model. Had I made a lot of mistakes along the way? Yes, but I am proud of what I have achieved today. Are you though?  Yes. Everything will go as planned today. I put on a completely black suit and tie to match the theme of this year's celebration.

Father threw a large gathering party with his biggest shareholders and dealers every year to thank them and surprise them with something big. This year something big happened to be his retirement and my succession to this empire he had built. Or so the rumours say... I took another long sip of wine as music filled the ballroom. I hated this, these people and their perfect little fucking lives. Father had always told me, "You will one day get married to a real man and carry on the legacy." so I will wed to a man and produce another being. On the other hand, women? I had no problem thinking about how it would feel like to have another woman touching me. Softly pressing lips against mine... I am having thoughts like those again. 

I quickly gathered myself up as he took the microphone. "I have an announcement to make first before continuing with the wonderful party." said my dad in the fakest tone ever. "My eldest daughter is to be married to Lanchester DeHaas!". In less than a second, I didn't think my world would be ruined. I was to be married to a DeHaas? No way. What would've Mother done in this dire situation? Would she have caused a scene by objecting Father? Probably not. 

As a woman in the Ledger family name, we were all asked to be silent about private matters. Drugs, scandals, trafficking. The rich named it and we provided. Corruption, power and money. All of it collided here, at this gathering with over 200 people. They all expected something different since the energy had shifted, but my marriage? Not even I, who was supposed to be engaged, knew about this. I wanted to die or disappear and never have to see that man again in my life. 

 Dead silence. Then, everyone started applauding like this was the most miraculous thing they had witnessed in all their lives. A woman being sold into marriage without her knowing consent. Father finally bowed and ascended from the large podium on which he had been standing. My vision went blank, everything stopped and I couldn't believe what was happening. And then realization hit me. I hadn't even gotten promoted to CEO? I thought I would put a stop to this whole drug and sex trafficking affair, but clearly, he had other plans. 

I had heard about Lanchester and he didn't seem half bad. If only you were into guys... No. I was. Right? In fifth grade I had kissed Brad Lockson, that surely would count as being into guys. I just hadn't met the right person yet. I couldn't let this go on any longer. I snapped out of it and stumbled my way toward my treacherous father. He was too old to continue leading his operation. Whom would he put in my place? "Da- I mean Sir, please tell me you were joking about what you said up there?!" I said while interrupting whoever he was speaking with. 

"No I wasn't Raven, now go to your room and pack your stuff." 

"For what?"

"For this thing, you will soon come to find is known as a college. More specifically, in your case, a boarding school."

Tears threatened to fall as I politely pushed past everyone to get to my room. I entered with a wind behind me forcing close the door. My breaths became shallower and I felt as though I couldn't breathe properly anymore. Okay, boarding school. I can do this.

I started to hear those words that Father had told me one cold winter night. I remember him saying, "Raven. You are a disappointment to this entire legacy. You are not worthy of my love and certainly not my company." I wish Mother would have been there. She was the only "human" being in our household. She would always listen to my problems and struggles, be there for me, defend and soothe me in moments like these, where everything seemed lost. Another memory came up to me, one where she was sitting with me on the edge of a lake. "Raven, if I will not be there when you grow older, just remember that I will always love you." The next day, she disappeared, gone. Like a breeze comes and goes, she never came back. Father didn't seem even a bit worried so since then, I know he had something to do with it, I just don't know what yet.

I made my bags, and by the time I had gone back downstairs, no one was there anymore. The mansion was cold again.