Thirteen

Kayla went back to the hotel with a big smile on her face that morning. She and Ben stayed at the park for a few more hours just enjoying each other's presence, with the occasional peck from Kayla which Ben didn't seem to mind.

"The Sparrows are right. He shouldn't be here. He's dangerous," she heard Luther say the moment she arrived.

"He's only dangerous because I made him that way," Viktor defended Harlan again. "This is my problem and I appreciate your concern, but I'm gonna figure it out."

Diego glanced back to see the mutant. He let out a huge breath of relief before going around Viktor and Luther. "Where the hell have you been?" he asked, pulling her letter from his back pocket. "And explain to me what you were planning on doing?"

As much as Kayla wanted to come clean, she knew she couldn't. She knew Diego would be pissed off if he found out she spent the whole night with Ben. So, instead, she wrapped her arms around Diego's waist with a closed eye smile.

"I'm sorry to worry you," she said.

Diego couldn't stay angry with her. He felt a bit guilty after reading the letter. Not once did he help her try to find Kurt. She's been helping him deal with his family's problems that weren't even hers. The only reason he found the letter was because he wanted to invite her to go to the bar with him and Allison. When he came into her room, he found it empty with just the letter on the floor. So, imagine how angry and hurt he was when he read her goodbye. He let all his anger out on those men in the bar.

Diego brought his hands up and returned the hug. One hand cradled the back of her head while the other went around her waist. "Don't...scare me like that again," he said, as his way of apologizing. "Listen, I swear, I'll help you find him once we deal with those Sparrows. I just got a lot going on -"

"With them and taking care of your son," she finished for him. Kayla pulled away, still feeling giddy with her kiss from Ben. "I'm not angry with you, Diego. I could never be." Her smile grew. "But I do know Kurt is here in the city."

"Really? That's great!" he beamed but his smile slowly became a frown. "Wait, were you looking for him all night?"

She deflected that question with her own as Luther looked at her. His eyes widened when he saw a small 'bruise' on her neck. "Are you mad at me?"

Luther quickly came over and wrapped his arms around her shoulders. "We could never be mad at you, Kayla," he said with a nervous chuckle. He leaned down and whispered in her ear. "Kayla, you have a hickey on your neck."

She furrowed her brows as she looked up at him. "What is this hi -"

Luther cut her off by squishing her cheeks together. "Isn't she just adorable?"

"And you're suffocating her," Diego commented. "Her face is bluer than her skin." Luther pulled away and mumbled a quick apology but kept his arm wrapped around Kayla's shoulders before yanking her close to him. "Seriously?"

Luther shrugged his shoulders. "I just miss her so much."

Allison walked into the lobby. "What's going on?" she asked.

Luther took note of the bruises on her face along with a few cuts. "Oh, my God. He's got you too?" he breathed.

Allison noticed Viktor's scar. "You ok?"

Viktor nodded. "Great. You?"

"Never better."

Luther looked at Diego, who was grinning at him while motioning to the scratches on his neck. Pretty much everyone in the room has their own little cuts and 'bruises' except for him. Soon, this bright light engulfed their vision. Every quickly got out of the way as Five and Lila portaled themselves in front of them, crashing on top of the front desk. They were both groaning as they tried to get up.