9. My Footsteps Are Faster Than Others

Later that night, Kari sat to the side as Kane stood up infront of the people of the village.

I glanced back as Maddox was off talking to some girl from the village. She was pretty and had really bright eyes.

I then saw Isabel and Solomon.

I watched as they were fighting.

I looked away quickly as Solomon looked up at me.

I dropped my head as I scratched the back of it.

"Kane never said that you were something of great talent."

I smiled as Maverick sat down next to me with a cup full of what they call alcohol.

Kane was going on and on about the upcoming raids and how the village was going to benefit from the upcoming goods.

Maverick pushed his drink into my face, "You want something to drink?"

I looked back at him, "I'm trying to remember that you tried to kill me the other day."

Maverick smiled at me, "I was following orders."

I grinned back at him, "Orders, do you always follow what people tell you what to do?"

"When it is my king, I do."

I shook my head, "Maybe you shouldn't always do that."

Maverick narrowed his eyes at me. "You are something else."

I looked back at him with a smile as Solomon and Isabel rejoined the party.

Maverick sipped on his wine, "They are the biggest joke."

I chuckled back at him.

"I got you to laugh."

"I choked on my own spit." I looked back at him.

Maverick smiled at me, "You know it like I do that they won't last. It's the biggest joke that Kane has come up with. He should just raid her father's territory and gain the land like that."

I looked back at him.

"You know that King Ragason led one of the biggest takeovers in Viking history. But it didn't end so well."

I looked back at Lucas.

Lucas pointed at the wall, "The king lost his life while he was on location with his forces."

"I don't think it's smart that we should do that." I glanced back at Maverick.

Maverick laughed back at me, "Kane doesn't want to do but Loki is for it."

"Loki sounds like a fucking idiot that is looking for a fight that he will never fight in."

Maverick raised his eyes at me, "Wow that is big talk."

"Just trust me Maverick, it won't be good for anyone if they rush those lands." I got up and walked away as Maverick grabbed my hand.

I looked down at him.

Maverick smiled at me, "You wanna tell me why you think that?"

"I have a feeling." I said as I walked away from the group with the pup at my feet.