Chapter 21: The Game

He does so silently, staring blankly at the box of buttons in front of him. The other mother is busy, going between the fridge and the stove, taking out eggs and other ingredients for what Katsuki guesses is breakfast. 

The buttons feel like they are looking back at him. He thinks about the pile of dust that used to be his friend, the ghosts in the mirror, his parents, the other mother, and he begins to feel sick.

The smell of the perfectly made breakfast is supposed to make him feel hungry, but right now its only increasing the urge to throw up. How long has be been here? How long will it take to get his parents back?

As those thoughts begin to flood his mind and he feels anxiety prickling at his limbs, there is the sizzling of eggs on a hot pan and bacon grease popping.

"I know what your thinking about katsuki."

He looks at her, but she doesnt look back at him. Still, he can hear the smile in her voice, boarding on condescending.

"Mothers intuition. I have no idea why you want to leave this place. Your father makes your favorite meals, you have me to talk to, we will never leave you feeling lonely, what is there not to love?"

Katsuki glares at her back, hoping that she feels it before looking back at the buttons. The small needle looks so sharp katsuki doesnt even want to touch it.

"I dont fucking know, the fact you killed the other version of my friend, the ghosts in the mirror, the gross ass rats everywhere, the way you want to sow buttons in my eyes, i could go fucking on and on."

The other mother is silent, flipping the omlet over in the pan and making it sizzle even more. Katsuki listens to the sounds for a while, just trying to relax and get rid of the sickly feeling. Once it ebbs somewhat, he speaks.

"Someone told me you like games."

She uses a rubber spatula to move the bacon and the omlet to a plate, setting it out perfectly and turning around, the plate in hand. She looks at katsuki, her smile smaller, more relaxed.

"Everyone likes games katsuki."

The plate is placed in front of him, and he feels the deep pit known as hunger opening up in his stomach.

"But you like to win. Wouldnt it be fun if you watched me struggle."

Katsuki Bakugou does not fucking struggle. He fucking wins. But of course, this bitch doesnt believe that. Thats better for katsuki anyway. She stands there, trying to look uninterested, but katsuki can see the twitching of her fingers and the way she bites her inner lip.

"What exactly are you offering?"

Katsuki doesnt look away from her, pointedly ignoring the plate of perfectly made food in front of him.

"Me. Ill let you do whatever you fucking want. Buttons in my eyes, all of that bullshit."

A smile dances on her lips and her buttons gleam dangerously.

"And,"

She leans forward, looking down at him from the bridge of her nose.

"If you 'win'?"

Katsuki glares at her, biting back a number of insults.

"Then you give me my parents back and let everyone leave, including the ghosts."

She hums softly, then turns into the kitchen, coming back to the dining table with frothy hot chocolate and orange juice, setting the cups down next to the plate of food. The smell of chocolate brushes against katsukis nose and he glowers.

"I could work with that..."

She mutters, her button eyes trailing off to the plate of food. Then they look back at him.

"What kind of game will it be?"

"A searching game."

The other mothers smile widens and she folds her arms.

"And what is it that you will be searching for in this game, Katsuki Bakugou?"

Katsuki decides to again ignore her very condescending tone. Its like shes talking to a baby, nothing more then something that she wants to vaguely entertain just for the hell of it.

"My parents and the mirror ghosts souls."

The other mother smiles at him like she already won, and there is a small thought in the back of his mind, a small doubt questioning if he made the right decision. She claps her hands together and stands straighter.

"Then its a deal! Eat up now, its not poisonous or anything! I only made the best for my sweet Katsuki!"

Right when hes about to refuse, his stomach grumbles loudly. It almost hurts when it does, and the other mother watches him happily.

"Go on."

She says, and Katsuki picks up the fork set out next to the plate. He looks back at her.