Chapter 31: Loser

She leans over, her snarl getting slightly wider. Katsuki has to quickly hold them close to his body when a thin fingered hand makes a quick swing for them. He glares at her and puts them back in his pocket, safe. 

He knew she would never actually let him go. How could he not when everyone around him was always telling him not to trust her. 

"We aren't done yet." 

The other mother still has that angry expression, but when Katsuki finishes, she straightens back up and brushes off the bottom of her dress with her hands. The fabric ruffles as she does, and when she looks back at him, she has a sweet smile. 

"Of course not."

 Her eyes glinted dangerously. 

"After all, you still need to find your parents." 

Katsuki refuses to look at anywhere else but her. One glance at the mantel piece and he knows he's fucked. He tells himself not to even think about it. The other mother continues, her tone sickeningly sweet and playful. 

"Would you like to look down at the cellar again? I have more fun things i could show you. It would keep us both entertained." 

Katsuki makes sure his face doesn't change. The memories of the cellar make his skin crawl, but she doesn't need to know that. 

"No, i already know where my parents are. So, you lose this bet." 

He says it confidently, and the other mother just gives him a smile, like an adult just going along with the crazy ramblings of a kid's little game. 

"Oh?" 

Shoto moves in his arms, looking up at him then back at the other mother. Katsuki glares down at him, unhooking his claws from his shirt again. He just fucking knows he's going to have scratch marks all over his arms by the time this is over. 

The other mother sweeps a hand, gesturing to the room around them. The insect furniture all chitter and buzz around them, seemingly amused with this turn of events. 

"Produce them. Where, exactly, are your parents Katsuki?" 

He watches her closely, just like she does to him. This is a game of who has the best poker face, of who can commit to the lie the best. Katsuki never loses any game.

 "They aren't in this dump, and they aren't inside. I looked everywhere, so its fucking obvious that they aren't anywhere inside of this house." 

The other mother doesn't move at all, her lips tightly closed. The furniture, once chittering with sudden excitement, is also now completely still. 

"So, there is only one place left that they could be in."

 The other mother doesn't give anything away, and Katsuki feels Shoto shift in his arms. He takes the chance to maneuver him, holding him in his hands as the other mother speaks. 

"And then, where else could they be... Katsuki?" 

The cat looks up at him with confused and scared eyes. He doesn't take his eyes off of the other mother.

 "They're behind that door."

 He nods at the door at the corner of the drawing room. The other mothers face is still straight, but Katsuki can see the faint telling's of a smile. 

"They are, are they?" 

Katsuki looks back at her. 

"Fucking check for yourself if you don't believe me. I know for a fact that they're there." 

He feels like he knows her pretty well. For a monster pretending to be his mom, he knows that look in both of their eyes, the smile on their face, and even the air around them. Hell, he gets that dumb look sometimes. 

When they need to gloat, to show you that they've won and you've lost, to watch your face. So, he knows she'll do exactly what he wants her to. With that smug aura around her, the other mother reaches into the pocket of her apron, pulling out the button key. 

Shoto stirred uncomfortably in his hands, wanting to get out of his hold. He isn't shaking as bad now, all that's left is the want to run out of the room. 

'Fucking stay there. Do this for me icy hot and we can both go home. I'll tell Deku you helped me out and he'll give you all the shit you want.' 

As if being able to hear him, Shoto relaxes again, albeit a little confused. The other mother walks to the door in the corner of the drawing room. She leans over slightly, since her body is a lot taller than it was before and puts the key in the lock. Katsuki watches, focusing on his breathing and face as she turns the key, and it makes a resounding click. 

That was the signal to set his plan in motion. Already, he is slowly walking towards the mantel piece, not turning around. The last thing he wants is for her to turn around and get suspicious. He stops when he sees her back joints move as she turns.

 She has a big smile on her face, chuckling softly. Katsuki feigns annoyance, rolling his eyes.

 "Don't fucking draw out your loss like a sore loser." 

The mother turns back to the door after laughing again. Katsuki continues his slow approach to the mantel piece. 

"Katsuki, i really should have taught you not to get such a big head..." 

She opens the door. It swings and reveals the dark hallway full of spider webs. No one else is in there. She turns back to him, a delighted expression on her face. 

"There! See, they aren't there. You were wrong! So, so wrong! Now, you're going to stay here, forever and always." 

Katsuki takes a deep breath, his shoulders relaxing.

 "No, I'm not."

 And as hard as he can manage– Which is pretty fucking hard– he throws Shoto towards the other mother. The cat yowls, limbs out and claws bared, landing on the other mother's head. He hears her let out screams of pain, and he darts back.