"Pure-Hardened Evil, Brave-Hearted Hero", 1973

Neville had just finished his final mineral run for the day and was busy shunting away his trucks in the yard. He was eager to get back to his shed for a rest. Neville looked up to see the Yard Master walking towards him.

"Hello hello, what can we do for you?" asked the driver.

"There's a last minute scrap train coming up from the Electric Line and we need you to take it up to the Ironworks."

"I-Ironworks!" shuttered Neville. "Isn't there another engine who could do it? What about BoCo or Bear?"

"I'm sorry, but you're the only one available. Now get going!"

"Come on old boy." said the driver. "We won't let anything happen to you."

Neville felt comforted by his driver's words and set off towards the nearby junction. Once he arrived he was shocked by the length of the train.

"Sorry for the unexpected long run mate." said the electric engine. "Typically the scrapyard by Edward's Station would handle any last minute trains like this, but they're at full capacity at the moment."

"It's alright. I could use a nice long run."

The train was quickly arranged behind Neville and he departed the yard, hurrying down the line. His worries soon melted away as he gazed towards the stars and the cool night breeze flustered around his smokebox. This would all come to an end as the faint humming of  machinery entered into earshot. The Barrow Ironworks was a collosole building with smoke emanating from every exit. Neville's mind flashed back to a time where he was rusting away in a siding.

"Ello Ello, what have we got here? A long train of scrap with a kettle in the front."

Neville was snapped back to reality and looked up to the diesel shunter.

"S-Stow it Arry! T-This engines' not meant for scrap!" Neville stuttered, trying to keep his fear under wraps.

Arry chuckled darkly. "Don't go stooping too close or the torch might just getcha!"

"Alright Arry that's enough!" called the foreman. "Take your train to the sidings, Bert will handle it from there."

Neville obliged, he much preferred Bert over Arry, and chuffed away. He found Bert sitting at the fuel pump.

"So where do you want these?" Neville asked.

Bert didn't reply and just stared at him. Neville felt a chill run down his boiler. Despite Bert practically being mute, he couldn't help but feel intimidated by him.

"Siding three." Bert mumbled.

Neville quickly shunted away the trucks and hurried away. Just before the exit, he was stopped by a workman waving a red flag.

"A diesel broke down on the exit points. Seems you're stuck here till someone can tow it away."

"S-STUCK! HERE!" exclaimed Neville.

"Come on old boy, let's park you in a siding out of the way." said his driver.

Neville was petrified. The humming of machinery, the low hanging fog, and faint red glow of the works scared him down to the bone. But nothing was more gut wrenching than the distant sounds of blow torches cutting away at metal.