"The Awkward Engine", 1968

One late day an unfamiliar engine rolled along the rails with a line of wagons trailing behind. It was the strangest engine anyone had ever seen. It was square and boxy like a diesel, but puffed steam like the other engines. It pulled into the Big Station as the sun began to set with a heavy train of wagons trailing behind.

"Well this is a surprise. I thought I was being sent a diesel."

The engine didn't reply and looked around uncomfortably.

"Sorry Sir, the diesel derailed in the yard while collecting this lot and we were the only ones available." said the driver.

Sir Topham Hatt shrugged and smiled warmly. "Oh you won't find me complaining. I'm sure my engines will be overjoyed to see another steam engine. Now take your engine to the sheds and get some rest. You'll need it for tomorrow."

The driver tipped his hat and released the brake.

"It's alright old boy." said the driver as he patted the cab. "You'll do great here. And who knows perhaps he'll save you from the torch?"

The other engines were talking quietly about the newcomer that night.

"I can't even begin to understand what it is," said James. "I mean at first glance I'd think it's a diesel, but then it has a funnel and a tender like us."

"Hush! Don't be rude!" exclaimed Molly.

"What I'm saying is if he's going to take coal and water like us, he could at least look like a proper engine."

"So engines which don't take coal and water aren't proper?" scowled Bear.

Molly just rolled her eyes as the other engines argued amongst each other and looked towards the newcomer that sat by its lonesome in the small goods shed.

"Don't you think we should invite him over?" Molly asked, glancing at Murdoch.

"I donnie know boot' that, perhaps we should just leave the wee lad aloone?"

"But I just feel awful. I'd hate to be alone on such a cold night."

"Well he did choose to go in that shed himself. Besides it's getting late so ye best get some rest. We have a busy day tomorrow."

"I guess so..."

Molly looked back at the awkward engine before drifting off to sleep.

The next morning Molly was sizzling in the morning sun when she noticed the new engine at the water tower.

"Hello there, you're quite the quiet sort aren't you?"

The new engine looked at Molly uncomfortably.

"It's alright, you can talk to me. I'm not like James. Name's Molly, you?"

The engine looked down at its buffers and thought for some time.

"N-Neville..."

"Now that wasn't so hard, was it?" Molly smiled warmly. "Such a unique name for such a unique engine."

"U-Unique?"