"A Lending Buffer", 1968

Rain had been pelting down on the island for several days now. This led to flooding and several other problems that poor Henry would soon face. He was puffing down the mainline with a long goods train. He stopped at Edward's station and whistled for a banker.

"Oh where is Sbeve? I'm going to be late!" exclaimed Henry.

"Sorry, but Bill and Ben got stuck in the drain again and he had to assist in pulling them out. You'll just have to get the train up yourself."

Henry was appalled. "You expect me to get this lot up that hill! You must be daft!"

"Come old boy, we've got plenty of sand. I'm sure we'll be fine."

Henry groaned as he pulled away with the heavy train. The rain had thankfully begun to lighten up, but the rails were still soaked. As Henry began up the hill his wheels began to slip and the trucks strained his coupling.

"S-Sand please fireman!" Henry called.

"I'm trying but nothing's coming out!"

Henry's wheels slipped fiercely on the dampened rails. With a mighty crack, Henry groaned to a halt and stalled on the hill.

"Oh what happened?" Henry whimpered.

"Oh that's gone and done it! Your side rod snapped!" exclaimed the driver.

The guard ran down to the signal box to call up the line while the driver and fireman placed detonators and warning flags along the line side. The Fat Controller soon arrived to assess the situation.

"This is no good Henry. You'll have to go to the works for some extensive repairs. Till then I'll have to split your work with others."

Henry felt awful as he was dragged away to the works. Over the next several days the other engines were forced to do both their and Henry's work. Even Gordon had to pitch in with the goods. They all grumbled dreadfully, but none more so than Murdoch, who had taken on a brunt of the work. There were times where he'd leave the yard hauling his and Henry's train at once. The other engines made sure to tip toe around the temperamental orange giant so as to not disturb the little peace and quiet time he had. Murdoch would vent his frustrations to Molly every night.

"I know I was built to pull such trains, but it's getting to the point I barely rest at all. I deliver one lot then immediately leave with another! I'm typically an expert when it comes to the hill, but I've stalled on it more times this week than I have the entire time I've been on the railway!"

Molly would listen intently for her friend, but it would begin to affect her work as well. 

"Dear oh dear you look mighty nakered there Molly, is everything alright?" asked Edward one morning.

"Oh yes everything's fine." she yawned. "I was up late listening to Murdoch again."

"It's alright to listen and help with your friend's problems, but when it starts affecting you and your jobs, then you must put your wheel down!"

"Oh but whatever shall I do?" she asked. "I can't just ignore him!"

"I'd recommend talking to the Fat Controller, then go from there. Now I must be off, can't keep Bill and Ben waiting too long, you know how those two can get. Just try to get some sleep tonight okay?"

Later that day Molly pulled into the Big Station where she found the Fat Controller standing at the platform.

"Um Sir? Do you have a minute?"

"Of course Molly. What can I help you with?"

"Urm, well you see Sir, Murdoch he's been taking on a lot of work recently and he's, well."

"Overworked? Yes I have noticed his "tempremence" as of recently and I've already made some phone calls to have an engine brought here on loan until Henry's return. The other railway can be rather difficult to communicate with at times."

"Oh yes of course Sir, thank you Sir."

The Fat Controller tipped his hat and walked back into his office. Later that night Molly was backing in the sheds to hear the big engines grumbling as per usual.

"Evening all!" she said merrily. "I have some wondrous news!"

"And what may that be?" asked Murdoch.

"I was talking with the Fat Controller and he said that an engine was coming from the other railway to help with the goods till Henry's return!"

This was met with several groans and moans.

"Great, now we'll have to deal with another dirty diesel coming around here! N-No offense Bear." said James.

Bear rolled his eyes and backed into his birth. "It's too late for this."

"Why are you all complaining? You've all been moaning about the extra work and now Sir Topham's gone and gotten some help. Who knows they may be a nice chap like Bear?"

The engines remained skeptical. Almost every diesel they've met had been horrid to them, however the engine that would arrive would be one they never expected.