"The Little Giant", 1986

The Skarloey Railway is no stranger to its famous and unique engines, but none are more unique than Mighty Mac. They were the newest engine on the little railway, only being built a year before in house at Crovan's Gate. Mighty Mac is a dual fairlie locomotive which is essentially two engines stuck back to back to each other. Mighty was the stronger of the halves and was always leading the front. Mac however could never hold steady steam and because of this only helped to push the train when needed. Like with any younger and eager engine the praise received would go to Mighty's smokebox.

"I'm the strongest engine on the line!" Mighty boasted in the sheds. "Manager says so! Today I handled the longest slate train this railway has ever seen all on my own!"

The other engines just groaned.

"Lord's sake is that what I used to sound like?" Sir Handel quietly asked Peter Sam.

"Trust me you were far more content with your remarks, even back on the our old railway right Grandpuff?"

"You're both still impetuous scallywags!" laughed Duke.

As the other engines talked and laughed as a family should, Mac sat facing the back of the shed. Nobody ever bothered asking him how his days had gone.

"Seemingly forgotten again hm?"

Mac looked up and saw Rheneas sitting at the buffers. Mac liked Rheneas. He, along with Skarloey, were the only engines who gave Mac any sort of attention. This led to Mac having a lot of respect, more so than the others, for the two old engines.

"Seems like it." Mac replied with a heavy sigh.

"Ah don't pay it any mind. I promise you, your chance will come. It's just the matter of when." Rheneas said reassuringly.

Mac just frowned. He wanted to believe Rheneas' words, but just couldn't find the faith. Rheneas saw this and thought of a way to cheer him up.

"I know you don't believe it, but I'm telling you, everyone here has had their moment. Duke saved Sir Handel on their old line, Peter Sam ran on his own, Skarloey managed to get his train home while running the risk of his boiler exploding, and I saved the railway in its early days. Everybody here found their story, you just have to let it find you."

Mac's face lit up. Perhaps Rheneas was on to something? All Mac would have to do is wait.

The next morning the Thin Controller approached the farley with some exciting news.

"As I'm sure you are aware, we are no strangers to enthusiasts and you two have certainly helped to increase the number. That is why I have decided to offer a special service for today called the "Fairlie Express". You shall take a train of enthusiasts all across the railway and show them the beauty our line has to offer. It's due out in an hour so the fitters will look you over to make sure you're good to go. Now rest up and remember to have fun."

The Thin Controller turned on his heel and walked away, leaving the Fairlie to talk with each other as the fitters began to work.

"Um M-Mighty?" Mac quivered. "Do you think that I could maybe, sort of...lead the train? I'd like to see the railway for its beauty for once instead of just the coach...maybe?"

Mighty was silent for some time before he burst out laughing.

"My dearest brother, you must understand this train is very important and we can't risk disappointing the Thin Controller or the enthusiasts with your steaming troubles. Plus I'm sure they'd much rather see me! Mighty the Grand! Not urm...Little Mac."