FONTAINE | First Meeting

NEUVILLETTE

It was that time of the year again, the anniversary of her brother's death.

It wasn't that [name] was still sad over his death, she was pretty young when he died, around seven, but he was still her big brother. He was still family. Traveling to his gravesite wasn't easy either, so that's why she only went once a year. And, this year, she expected to be there alone like always, but as she traveled up the hill, [name] noticed that the graveyard wasn't as empty as she thought it would be.

There was a long, white-haired man with his back turned to her as she slowed her approach. Her heart began to accelerate as she got closer, not exactly feeling the greatest about joining someone who was most likely mourning over. It would no doubt be awkward, but there was no turning back now. She'd rather get this over with due to the storm clouds rolling in.

[name] sucked in a fresh breath of air through her nose and steeled herself as she angled herself to the right where her brother's grave was placed. It was smaller, near the edge of the few. Surprisingly enough there were a few wildflowers grown near the base of many of the graves, which caused [name]'s lips to curl into a pleasant smile. She placed her own, Zinnias. They would no doubt die in a few days though.

The [h/c]-haired woman stood tall once again, staring down at the gravestone with a now solemn expression, brows furrowed in thought...but the silence was too great and her thoughts were too loud, she had to say something.

"I'm, uh, sorry for your loss," she turned her head to the left slightly, signaling to the man that she was speaking to him. Many would recognize him by now, but [name] had a reasonable excuse for not being able to today.

The handsome man's eyes darted [name]'s way briefly, then back towards the gravestones he stood in front of, "I have not personally lost someone. I only came here to pay my respects."

[name] could immediately feel how warm her face began to get as she muttered a quick, "oh, I see," and turned her attention away. Maybe she should've stayed quiet and this wouldn't have happened.

"Though...thank you for the sentiment." He spoke up once again, giving her a nod, "I shall leave you be now."

She didn't watch him leave, only turned after his footsteps disappeared and watched him for another few seconds in the distance. [name] let out a soothing sigh of relief and stepped back to gaze at the many gravestones, then at the sky. The sun finally began to shine through, the storm clouds that were just rolling in now dissipated into ones of white cotton candy.

LYNEY

Fontaine was a wonderful city to live in. In [name]'s opinion at least. There was great food, clean waters, wonderful outfits, and plenty of entertainment of different types. However, she wouldn't classify the trials as entertainment like other people did. How the cases were drawn out to tell a fantastic story which ends in a guilty verdict; or not but usually those prosecuted are always there for a reason.

Again, unless they're not. [name] found it sickening that people wanted to enjoy plot twists within real trials to the point that reality and entertainment had begun to blur.

True entertainment...like a small magic show she had briefly seen in her childhood. It was brilliant. She remembered them pulling doves out of their hats. A truly magnificent sight and they were her age too.

Too bad she never caught their names. Time moved on and so did life. [name] worked a part-time job with kids at a daycare. They were old enough to have a calm attitude but still not old enough to know that magic wasn't real. Though there were a few adults who still had cotton covering their eyes, maybe it was best to keep it that way.