SUMERU | Continuation

ALHAITHAM

Being an assistant wasn't too bad. There was much work to be done but it kept [name] on her feet. She didn't care about the work either way; 'not caring' in the sense that she was able to do all of this without worry or hesitance. She was more than happy to do this.

More like more than happy to prove that she could be on his level. But I digress.

There were plenty of books that Alhaitham hoped to get to by the end of the week, [name] had to take all the books he had finished overnight from his desk back to their designated place in the large bookcases in the House of Daena while gathering more for his collection. She didn't know if these were for the sake of the City of Sumeru or his own downtime but it wasn't her place to question him.

"Why were you made the Grand Sage's Assistant anyway?" A voice hissed from behind her. She was in the middle of putting a book away but that harsh voice caused her to pause. She turned to pique her curiosity and saw two women; two Sumeru scholars who didn't look too happy. The House of Daena was a quiet place so this caused a slight disturbance.

"I'm not his assistant quite yet but if you must know: hard work, effort, and connections, if you're actually looking for an answer." She was going to turn back to her work but the scholar who started this spat moved forward and snatched the book out of [name]'s hand, flipping through it in disgust.

"I've barely seen you around here. If anything I should be appointed a higher position than you."

"If you excuse me, I don't have the time or effort to engage in your ways of harassment. If you have this much time on your hands to go out of your way to specifically find someone then I suggest using that time to work on bettering yourself." She pointed out matter-of-factly. The scholar's face paled and then flushed a deep color.

"What's the hold-up? Are you all done with staring at them like it's some sort of spectacle?" A masculine voice called out, slowly getting closer. Heads turned and a few began to whisper.

"G-Grand Sage--what are you doing here?" The scholar backed up, still holding the book but that was quickly changed by the dexterous hands of [name].

"I was trying to find out why [name] hadn't shown up but now I know who wasted her time." He crossed his arms. There was no sympathy to this scholar he had and it seemed that the other scholar that came with her had made their escape a little while earlier. "Take their advice, this is time that we'll never get back now...I wonder how you even became a scholar in the first place..." He sighed, turning his attention to [name].

"If I may be so bold you said that once I'm qualified you'll know my name. Though I have not told you, you've just used my name." She wanted to be direct rather than beat around the bush. He raised a brow and cocked his head to the side.

"You're quick to pick up on these things. Good." He turned to the stack of books and picked a few up. "You may go home early once you're done here. You'll officially be appointed to this position tomorrow so I expect you here early."

It would be an obvious thing that he knew her name from her application but she hoped deep down that it was because he remembered all those years ago who stood in his shadow.

KAVEH

Today had been marked as [name]'s last year as a Kshahrewar student. She, and all her other classmates, had just graduated, this particular event being celebrated widely amongst many in the main city of Sumeru. Most outside places were decorated, most students still wearing their Akademiya uniform with their graduation hats to show that they were finished with school and were finally beginning their new lives.