Beginnings

Echelon Bureau headquarters was an impressive sprawling subterranean complex beneath the bustling heart of the city. It consisted of multiple floors, each with a unique purpose. The top floor, known as the "Observatory," housed a state-of-the-art command center, brimming with high-tech surveillance and communication equipment. Agents here tracked global threats, their fingers dancing across holographic screens, weaving intricate webs of intelligence.

Descending deeper, there was the "Arsenal," where cutting-edge weaponry and gadgets were developed and tested. Skilled technicians, engineers, and scientists worked tirelessly to stay ahead of the technological curve.

The "Anvil" was where agents trained rigorously, honing their combat and espionage skills to perfection. Instructors barked orders, while trainees moved through obstacle courses, mastering every weapon in the Bureau's arsenal.

Finally, there was the "Nexus" - the heart of the Bureau, where classified missions were conceived and planned. 

The atmosphere throughout the quarters was one of modernity and innovation. Holographic screens glimmered with real-time data, and automated drones buzzed overhead. Agents moved briskly, dressed in sleek, black uniforms, their identities hidden behind masks and codenames.

In the dimly lit offices in the Nexus, two agents engaged in a tense discussion. Agent Minji Kim, the unyielding Chief of the Bureau, sat behind a sleek, glass-top desk, her steely eyes fixed on a holographic display of classified data. Her face was a mask of skepticism, etched with lines of experience.

"Hanni, you're pushing this too far," Minji declared, her voice carrying the weight of authority. "Assigning Agent Haerin to this mission is nothing short of madness."

Hanni Park, Minji's more relaxed and intuitive counterpart, leaned against the wall, her arms folded casually. Her wavy shoulder-length hair framed a face that wore a perpetual expression of mild amusement. "Minji, you underestimate her. Haerin is our best option. She may not follow the rulebook, but she gets the job done. Her unorthodox methods have saved our operations more times than I can count."

Minji's fingers drummed rhythmically on the glass surface of her desk, revealing her inner turmoil. "You know as well as I do that Haerin's profile is far from ideal. She's erratic, spontaneous to the point of not following protocol and a known loner. Her past haunts her, and she prefers to work by her own rules."

Hanni nodded knowingly, acknowledging Haerin's tumultuous history. "That's precisely why she's perfect for this mission. We need someone who can operate off the grid, adapt to unpredictable situations, and go where others can't."

Minji didn't like the sound of it. She was a serious, by-the-book leader who had climbed the ranks through unwavering dedication. Hanni, on the other hand, was the maverick, unafraid to take risks for the greater good, and her charisma had earned her the respect of many within the agency. 

Minji leaned back in her chair, her fingers entwined as she recounted a haunting memory. "Hanni, I remember the last cleanup operation we had to undertake. You weren't there, but I saw the aftermath. Innocent people were injured in the crossfire. It was chaos, thankfully no one died."

Hanni's gaze remained unwavering, her conviction unshaken. "Minji, I understand the cost of that mission, but we can't hold every agent to the same standard. Not everyone is cut out for the kind of work we do. And that's exactly why Haerin is our best bet. Probably the best on the field after you."

For a split second, a rush of memories flooded her but Hanni shrugged them off. Minji seemed unaffected. How fast they move on.

Minji's eyes met Hanni's, and there was a flicker of doubt in her expression. "Remember 'El Mago'? The takedown that went south? We lost contact with our team, and we were inches away from an international incident. It was Agent Haerin who pulled off a solo mission to rescue them and neutralize the threat. But her methods...they were extreme."