Chapter 8

Power, with its frail line, often begets a descent into the realm of malevolence. For most, it is the harbinger of greed. When power wields a darker visage, its abuse leads to a doom unfathomed. A destruction and chaos that can command the very fabric of fate. 

Journal of Minjeong, the seventh Queen of Yol. 

*****

The following morning, Dani's apprehension drove her to search for Haerin, the worry written on her face. Discovering Haerin's absence from her quarters, a fleeting fear crept into Dani's thoughts—had Haerin fled, overwhelmed by the revelations of the previous night? Unwilling to disturb Min Ho in his lab, Dani glimpsed out the window, locating a diminutive figure standing by the beach.

Approaching Haerin with caution, they stood together, silently taking in the serene vista as the morning breeze stirred. Haerin broke the quietude with a sarcastic smile, acknowledging Dani's concern. "You thought I'd left, didn't you?"

"To be honest, I did. You're quite spontaneous; predicting your next move is impossible," Dani admitted.

"Unpredictability is a crucial quality for any good agent."

"Well, you must be the pick of the bunch," Dani remarked with a smile. "How do you feel this morning?"

"Alright, I guess. At least I wasn't going to brutally punish a man for nothing. Now, more than ever, I want to find that Kazuha," Haerin said with a hint of spite.

"I wish it was that easy," Dani replied.

They paused for a moment, and Haerin asked, "How did those creatures that wanted to kill me get here—the time we first met? I'd like to think this place is not safe."

"They'd often come when we hold those parties, common men can't see them mingling, they were looking for you."

"Why?"

"Probably to prevent the bond from forming between you and me. Get to you first and kill you, they nearly did. But If I am being honest I don't know the real reason either."

"So this place is not safe."

"No, but your enemies are less threatening when you expect them. Besides, Min Ho is also from Vailar; he can deal with them easily."

"You and your father seem pretty close," remarked Haerin.

"Min Ho? He's not my father, my parents are in Vailar" Dani clarified, her gaze fixed on the horizon. "He's an Rvian. His kind enter the temple when they are only six years old and simply learn to live constant erudition, bringing calm through the philosophy of peace, searching the land, and fending forces of the dark. But he wanted more. From his early days in the High Temple, Min Ho immersed himself in the study of sciences, delving into the mysteries that govern the natural order. His mind extends far beyond the mundane; he wanted to know what drives life and nature."

Dani's mind flickered back to the night her mother had sent her through the portal for the first time. She recalled the discomfort dancing in her belly, not fear, but the uncertainty of the unknown.  She was met with the smile of him on the other side and it dispelled any doubt she had. He had been a little lamp in her life.

She resumed her narrative, "There are laws that forbid any Rvian from snooping beyond what's taught and written in the books. According to them, understanding science can either reaffirm beliefs or create doubt. Min Ho was then banished from Vailar. He was asked to choose a new home, and he chose Earth."