4 | Jijñāsā

Jijñāsā

(Lit.) the desire of knowing.

"Devi Sita. She deserved better, Jyestaa"

Kusha nodded his head in silence. Both the brothers were resting under the neem tree in the woods near the Ashrama. They had just completed their second-last class of Ramayana. 

"I would be seriously hurt! Like, Imagine being faithful to your husband, not letting that Ravana to touch you, yet your husband had made you go through a trial." Lava ranted as plucked a berry from near by bush.

"Don't! That one is wild-" Kusha immediately stepped up and took the berry from his brother who stared at him in amusement, "How'd you know, Jyestaa? They all look the same!"

"All about experience. Maybe, I got this after spending ages with Maa for plucking some edibles" Kusha answered as if it was a matter of fact. Whereas Lava stared at his brother in amazement. 

Sita who came finding for her sons, she was Lava staring at the berry whereas Kusha was staring at Lava. She qucikly analysied the situation, coming to an confusing, she went ahead with a smile on her face.

"How? They all look the same! That and that look exactly the same!"

"The other one is edib-"

"How?"

"I don't-"

"In the same way, everyone looks the same, all seem like good people and they are our well-wishers. But infact, they are also wish bad for us, understand? It's all about ability to judge and make good friendships"

Sita started, the boys were little over decade and she was careful to implant all necessary values into them, without corrupting or hurting their hearts. Alas! It was surely a difficuly job.

"Matashree!" One had excitement in their voice and other was annoyed.

"I was just thinking about you, Mata!"

"How come you and Kusha are philosphical? Always!"

Sita smiled a little as she went ahead and picked up the casket her two sons have kept it down, "Let's go? It's getting dark out"

Kusha and Lava, like little kids nodded their heads, happily heading out with their mother. Under the saffron kissed sky, with lilac being the cherry, the trio headed back to Ashrama.

Sita sat down getting the dishes ready to her two sons who went out to stargaze. "Lava! Kusha! Get inside! Dinner is about be the served, The plat-"

"The plates shouldn't wait for us!" Her sons completed the sentence. Smiling, Sita nodded her head in disbelief as she made her way outside.

She found her two sons resting to the wall of the entrance side of the hut as they fixed their attention towards the eastern direction. 

The twins had a special interest in their heart for the knowledge of space, just like Rama. With a slight smile, Sita covered the twins in a cloth which can protect them from the cold breeze.

"Don't my little boys don't kno-"

"Know that sitting in cool weather with no protection can cause them to be sick?" the twins again chorused and this time, Sita didn't smile but instead gave them a stern look.

"Er- Mata! Look at that! It's Ardra" Kusha immediately pointed out not wanting to be scolded. 

Sita diverted her attention to the place Kusha pointed at, she smiled, "Indeed, Kusha!" Bitter-sweet memories flooded in her mind, the time when Rama used to point out the Nakshatras to her whenever they spent their time outside.

"Mata?" Lava shook her, "What are you thinking? Besides I got a doubt!" 

Sita hummed in a respond, "What doubt, Lava?" Lava sat up straight, clearing her throat dramatically he spoke, "It's always the view of lord Rama pointed out in Ramayana, even people only think of Rama but ignore Sita and her pains. I mean even Sita had equal amount of pain when they were seperated but people always feel bad for Rama but not Devi Sita? Why is it? Why is Devi Sita's emotions ignored?"

Sita stared at Lava and Kusha who had that will to know the answer, the same spark which she used to have when she was little one. She remembered such a moment when she asked her father a similar question.

She pulled her boys closer to her and began, "A women, is considered a meek and weak creature in this world. But she is not. Both of you should learn to respect them. Coming to Devi Sita, I have got no answer for it." 

It was Sita's conscience which was not allowing her to tell. You are Sita! Don't you think it would be too weird to let your boys know the feelings? Your boys are smart enough to make out!

But her heart was saying that her boys are mature enough to understand the truth. Sita was now crumbled between the choices presented to her by the fate.

"Mata! Tell please! We know that you are smart and-"

"I'll tell you both, Lava and Kusha" A voice cut Kusha's plead. Sita turned to see her mother-like figure, Vandana.

"Matamahi!"