6 | Prajña

Prajña

(Lit.) Knowledge, Gaining the knowledge

"Matamahi!"

Vandana smiled as she took place next to Lava, she passed a basket of fruits to the boys and indicated them to eat, "It's getting late, atleast eat the fruits."

"We will Matamahi. But, tell us the answer! It won't be good if you diverted the topic" Lava pouted as he chewed upon his kadali

"I will, but tell me the answer to one thing" Vandana always shared a deep bond with the twins, she was the maternal grandmother figure to the boys and mother like figure to Sita.

"When you get hurt, Whom do you generally remember?" She questioned as Kusha answered, "Everyone generally thinks of their mother.."

"So does it mean that one doesn't love their father?"

The boys shook their head in a no, Sita glanced at Vandana wondering what her Mata was trying to convey to the boys.

"In the same way, People like to highlight one owns pain but on the others. We can also say that they always look at the one side of the coin and not the other, people are quick to judge one person. And it was the same reason why Raja Rama decided to let his wife perform Agni Pariksha so that her purity won't be questioned. And coming to people, our society generally prefers the male being the highlight not the females. But, none can argue that Devi Sita had any less suffering than her husband. Both of them had their equal shares."

Lava and Kusha stared at Vandana in silence, their mind was trying to understand why was the society built in such a way. Sita made a mental note to thank her mother for saving her from the real awkward situation.

"Have a good talk with your Matamahi, I'll get the dinner." Sita patted the heads of her boys and she stood up, she turned towards Vandana, "And Mata you are having food which is made by me, no reasons"

Vandana let a chuckle, "Anything my lovely daughter says"

Lava and Kusha continued their thinking, "Don't think too hard, once you grow up, you will surely understand" Vandana said. "But-", Vandana interupted, "No more talks, kids"

Lava and Kusha pouted at the same time, "We are not kids anymore! We are twelve!"

The night was spent happily with the family of four talking their day off and eating the food prepared by Sita. The Somadeva passed a serene smile seeing his sister happy.

Sita hummed as she picked the flowers from the bushes for her daily pooja. Her boys were at their Veda Patashala, Vandana had left for a Yajna which was being conducted. Sita was all alone in the hut-region with silence engulfing her.

Shurpanaka, the sister of Ravana and one of the major reasons why Sita was abducted smirked in victory. When she heard the news of Sita's banishmnent, it was a proud moment for her. Atlast after searching for ages, she finally found Sita in Ashrama of Valmiki. 

She approached Sita, her feet stomping on the ground declaring her arrival. 

"You are banished, because you were at another man's place for eleven months, Ain't I right, Ramaa?" She started, in an attempt to show Sita down.

Sita, not actually feeling the presence of Shurpanaka passed a serene smile when she saw her. Without answering she continued plucking her flowers.

"RamaBharya, You are considered impure by the society, people think that now you are roaming in forests as a beggar! Ain't this true?" Shurpanaka started again, in hopes of succedding.

Sita again didn't pay a heed and continued her work, she went towards the hut and placed the casket near the mat which was spread on the front-entrance porch. She settled down as she placed a needle set along with the flowers to start knitting.

"Are you deaf? Can't you hear what I said, Sita? I said that you are impure. Your husband doesn't trust you anymore! You are humiliated!" Shurpanaka cried as she sat infront of Sita. 

Sita smiled back in answer, but internally she thanked that Lava and Kusha weren't here, otherwise they would have killed Shurpanaka by the she completed her first sentence.

"Sita! You-"

"Meenakshi, such a beautiful you have! Want some berries?" Sita questioned as she picked up few berries from the basket.

Meenakshi was Shurpanaka's birth name, it was said that she had the eyes which resembled the structure of fish, thus she was named Meenakshi by her father. 

"Don't try to get friendly with me, Sita! Your brother-in-law cut my nose!"

"Weren't you also at fault for trying two men who were clearly not interested?"

"But... Cutting my nose wasn't the solution!"

"You tried to harm me, you tried to killed me. My Brother-in-law did was the right thing. It was the only thing that controlled you"

"Because of that.. I lost my beauty! None's willing to be with me!" Shurpanaka pointed out as she remembered the times when she was shooed away by her own friends.

"They aren't your real well-wishers. Beauty is not from out, but from inside. No one is ugly, Meenakshi. Change your thought process"

Shurpanaka couldn't imagine Sita's patience. She gave her alot of pain, trouble, she insulted her, she seperated her from her husband and yet, Sita is talking to her as if they were friends since ages.

"Meenakshi, You have come a long way. Have some berries. How are people at Lanka? Mata Trijata, Maharani Mandodari, Maharaja Vibhishana?"

Shurpanaka's eyes' softened, "Aren't you mad at me, Vaidehi?"

"Why should I be?"

And it was the time that Shurpanaka actually felt guilty for her actions and deeds. "Forgive me, Sita. Punish me"

"Why should I punish you? You are repenting your mistakes, that's the greatest punishment one can ever get" Sita gently smiled as she placed the garland of flowers aside. 

"Mata!" The voice of Lava and Kusha rang in the ears of Shurpanaka and Sita. Sita smiled gently and asked the boys to sit next to her. 

"Meet my friend Meenakshi. And Meenakshi, these are my boys. Kusha and Lava" Sita introduced her kids to Shurpanaka. The twins with hesistation bent and touched the feet of her.

"No! I'm not that great kind of woman to give you blessings..."

"Mata always says that no matter how a person is. The elder ones have greater experiences life and always matured in atleast one corner of their heart. Aren't you going to bless us?" Kusha spoke as Lava nodded his head.

Shurpanaka repented her sins now, completely. The young twins of Lord Rama were more understanding than her. She realised how childish she was. "Thank you, Devi. Lava and Kusha, always be happy in your life and serve your mother"

A/N : The tale of Shurpanaka and Sita meeting during her second vanvaasam is not mentioned in the Valmiki Ramayana, but yet, I found this idea interesting and thought it would be an amazing way to say Shurpanaka repenting her mistakes, also pointing out Sita's calm side.