Chapter VI: I am not me

Haechan
Have you ever written your name in the sand as a child? I have. In the days where I was young, innocent and impressionable, I believed I had made a mark for all of eternity; I believed my name would be there forever but the harsh reality is that eventually the ocean will erase your work. It is inevitable that eventually that, that once engraved surface will become nothing but a clean slate for the next innocent and young mind to come and vandalise. All will be forgotten.

I was the sand and they were the ocean that stripped me of my name. I was nothing but a soul imprisoned in a body that was no longer mine, I belonged to the ocean. When you are just a name in the sand, the ocean can and will erase you. I was erased but I am not a clean slate. I am not me.

My lifeless eyes stared at that familiar ceiling as I sat up, an achy feeling lingering in my back due to the cheap mattresses, we had no choice but to sleep in. That familiar sickening feeling in my stomach came back as I exited my bed. I groaned as I clasped my stomach, rushing to the bathroom. I arched over the toilet, projectile vomiting my insides out. Everyday, I puked the crimson liquid, I guess this was their way of rinsing me of my humanity, making me throw it up.

I wiped the excess waste off of my mouth once I was done before stumbling over to the sink where I stared at my unrecognisable reflection. I brushed my hands across the deep scar that went through my eye. They gouged my eye out and replaced it with this scrap of metal so I would be more useful to them. It glows red when a target or imposter or target is spotted. This kind of technology doesn't even exist to the world, the kind that created me. Half of my brain is human, half is hardware. I am a puppet. I am losing more and more of my humanity everyday, I still feel physical feelings and i'm very quickly losing my emotions however once that is all gone, I will become exactly what the were trying to make me.

I sighed and squirted the blue minty substance onto my toothbrush. You're probably thinking, if i'm half robot, why do I need to worry about hygiene? And the answer is, i'm still half human, I still secrete bodily odours and I still get morning breath. Water also doesn't affect my hardware as my circuits are all protected.

Once I had finished all of my bathroom duties, I left the room, a towel hanging loosely around my waist. I changed into my uniform, putting my mask and lab coat on as the last step. I cracked my knuckles, preparing myself for the day before leaving my room.

Suddenly the bosses voice erupted through my earpiece. "I need you to take care of inmate 58, do whatever you want with them, I don't care." He ordered, nonchalantly. "Yes sir, i'll get straight to it." I hastily replied.

I rapidly made my way to the cell, not hesitating. I knew better than to disobey him. I wasn't prepared to face the consequences, not today, not ever. Either way I enjoyed my job. I knew no better, it was what I was made to do.

I activated the scanner on the cell and the metal door propped open. There was a bone-thin, middle aged man laying in a seemingly uncomfortable position on the floor, unconscious. I approached him and mercilessly booted him in the torso, earning a grunt as he awakened, abruptly.

I crouched down and reached into my pocket, pulling out a key with the number '58' carved into it. I used the key to disconnect his cuffs from the chain attached to the wall. I reached underneath his shoulders and forcefully lifted him onto his feet. He was light and frail. He was almost like glass. That's what this place does to you.

"Where are you taking me?" He spoke, a mere whisper. His voice was raspy and weak. I spared him no reply. I mustn't waste my voice on something so pathetic. His knees were delicate however with my support I was able to get him to my designated torture chamber.

I roughly shoved him onto my crimson tinted work bench, the metal automatically imprisoning his wrists, waist and ankles. "Why are you doing this..?" He muttered. I left him no reply once again. There was a mixture of fear and melancholy in his eyes. I was programmed not to feel sympathy and I didn't. I felt nothing at all.

I switched on the blinding spotlight that shun in his face causing him to squint. I picked up my scalpel, the cold metal immediately changing the temperature of my hand.

His eyes gazed up at me fearfully, noticing the surgical equipment in my hand.

TW: Intense gore, resume at your own risk.

I pressed the sharp blade against his stomach, applying pressure which caused the warm, crimson liquid to begin oozing out. The man let out a deafening scream. His cries for help motivated me.

I began dragging the scalpel upwards, eventually carving out a square where his stomach was. I was neat with my work. I then grabbed a corner of the skin that was carved and ripped it clean off. His blood coated my hands and gushed onto my mask. His body soon went limp as he had fainted due to loss of blood and soon enough he would perish.

I had a view of his internal organs. Most people would've been heavily disturbed and ultimately traumatised but the adrenaline rushing through my veins made it enjoyable. Adrenaline was one of the few feelings I was still capable of feeling and it was so addictive.

Once I was finished with him I just abandoned him there. It was time for me to pay a visit to the trespasser. I felt oddly attached to her, I felt like I had to visit her everyday without fail and I always remembered to. It's probably just because I captured her, she's my responsibility.

Yejin
I had gone another night with barely any sleep. I was sleeping perfectly fine until I was awoken by the spine chilling scream. This place was driving me so insane, I felt like I was gaining an attraction to Haechan. He was just so mysterious and I felt drawn to him because of that. I know he got me into this mess but I felt like I was gaining Stockholm Syndrome. Believe me, I didn't want to be attracted to him but when you go as long as I have without dick, it becomes... frustrating.

I heard a click and suddenly the door swung open. He was back. "Morning, afternoon or night, i'm not sure anymore I lost track of time." I spoke, attempting to start a conversation with him. "Morning." He replied, coldly. It was obvious he didn't even know how to communicate. "So.. what are you here for?" I questioned, looking up at him. "I'm just visiting." He answered, that same monotoned voice he always had.

"I know why you're here." I smirked, an idea popping into my head. He looked at me waiting me to finish what I was saying. "You're in looooove with me." I teased, adding emphasis on the 'love'. He quickly looked away, his eyes partially widening for a split second.

"That's absurd." He scoffed. "I am incapable of feeling such things." He made sure to make eye contact as if he was trying to prove a point.

A/N: I'm trying to update more frequently but these placeholder chapters are so boring to write I just wanna write all the main drama already but that would just ruin the book. Anyways feel free to leave feedback and if you have any requests then let me know. I hope you all enjoyed and thank you for reading! <333