Amabelle's Story

The rain was merciless as the limping woman hauled the heavy vampire on her back. Her teeth ground against each other as she put one foot in front of the other, staggering every so often as her knee buckled and her boots slipped on the wet stones. Still, she was determined to haul the dying - potentially dead - vampire to her father. Luckily, a cab had stopped outside and the driver had immediately rushed to her side, helping the vampire into the carriage before speeding down the streets to her father's snug little cottage. "It will be okay." Her head had been pounding as she caressed the vampire's head, tightening his coat around the wounds every so often. She'd collapsed when she'd reached the front door and she'd awoken a day later.

Jessamine spent her days with Sergeant Smith, describing the details of the fight and researching shapeshifting creatures. In her spare time, Jessamine let her hair down and she'd sit in her room where Shu resided, reading up on vampires.

Vampires have healing saliva. Shu had saved her life with that kiss, her first kiss. Not that that mattered, it was far from romantic like she had dreamed… but it had saved her life.

She'd fallen asleep on the window sill when he had regained consciousness. Her hair had been pulled back into a sleek, long ponytail and she wore her work clothes. Her forehead kissed the cold glass panes as she hugged a small cushion close to her chest. The talons had left a jagged scar across her face, tainting her delicate skin, causing the vampire to frown.

His groan awoke her.

"You're alive!" Jessamine gasped as she clambered from the windowsill to his bedside, yelping as the sharp pain in her knee blinded her. She sat in the chair beside Shu's bed. "I was worried." She rubbed her tired eyes. "Do you require anything?"

"Thirsty," he even sounded parched.

"I have a glass of water-" she stiffened as his blue eyes peeled open. "B-Blood."

"It would only be fair," he said, jaw tightening as Jessamine unbuttoned her left cuff.

"Be gentle." She whispered. He ignored her.

His sharp fangs ached as they pierced her wrist, causing a scream to leave her throat as tears welled in her eyes. He slurped and slurped until her head spun. He tore his fangs from her skin, leaving two gaping holes in her wrist.

"Do not treat those," he snarled, pink tongue savouring her sweet blood before he sat himself up, she stared down at the bite. Vampires would leave their bites on humans to claim them. "How long has it been?"

"A week," she whimpered, holding her throbbing wrist to her chest, the pain so brutal she thought she would be sick. "I have been researching shapeshifters," she took a shaky breath, her good knee jogging as if it would soothe the pain, "you have to trap them in order for them to cooperate." Shu's eyes softened lightly. "There haven't been any murders, thankfully. But I did spot Mary picking up a newspaper."

"And?"

"She said she was illiterate."

Shu took her wrist gently, earning a soft whine from her lips as he pressed a cold kiss to it. "Perhaps I was too harsh with that bite." He looked around her bedroom. "Where are we?"

"My bedroom," Jessamine said, blinking at his cold hands caressing her wrist.

"How did we get here?"

"I carried you," she cleared her throat, lowering her voice to sound deeper, "you are rather heavy despite your slim build." His eyes dropped to her knee.

"You carried me?"

"Yes, have you lost the ability to hear?" She grunted, pressing the back of her hand to his forehead. "Well you aren't exactly warm."