Another Killer...?

"Being penetrated by those talons is one thing, however if you are bitten by a shapeshifter then you are completely and utterly screwed." Shu said as he helped Jessamine out of the cab, allowing her to grasp his arm as she staggered forward. "We really must replace your cane."

"I cannot afford one," Jessamine sighed as the pair made their way into the police building, heading towards her office. She greeted the receptionist on her way in who beamed at the sight of her.

"Your tea is ready in your office!" Harry announced.

"Thank you," she nodded her head as she pushed open her office door, allowing Shu in first.

"I must admit," said Shu, "they are all rather repressed."

"That is the standard in Victorian England." Jessamine removed her hat and her coat, hanging them up before she sat herself in her seat. "Did you take notes?"

"Does it look like I would be the sort of person to take notes?"

"Noted."

Pulling a notepad from her drawer, Jessamine grasped her quill and began to scribble on the paper. She wrote Evangelina's name and underlined it before writing several other names. "James states that he gave Evangelina the dowry meant for her future husband for her to and I quote 'sort her life out'. I doubt such a man would waste so much money just to have her killed." James Tanks was well known in the area for being stingy with his money, he would have rather killed her himself than pay 10 gold pieces for someone else to do it for him.

"Eleanor Tanks says she 'forgot' about her daughter after having their most recent son." Shu added.

"Thomas Tanks says he hadn't heard of or seen her since she'd been kicked out." Clarke sighed. 

"Sheila Tanks was the only supportive one of the family," Shu said.

The door swung open and Sergeant Smith bolted in, panting. "Can I help you?" Scowled Jessamine.

"Another… body!" Gasped Smith.

"At this time?" She frowned as she stood from her seat, limping to her coat and hat. "Are you coming, Sakamaki?"

"The cab would be quite the squeeze." Still, he followed closely behind.

He was right; the carriage was tight with four passengers. Shu and Jessamine sat side by side, legs and arms touching as the carriage wheels leapt over bumps in the roads. Opposite sat the Sergeant and a lower-ranked Detective, a rookie, Shu had called him.

"Wherever is your cane?" Smith asked after watching Shu help Jessamine out of the carriage.

"Lost," replied the detective with a frown. "Bloody expensive to replace as well."

The graveyard had been closed off and a pale body had been laying on the gravel floor. Clarke had to cover her mouth to hide her horror. She hadn't been expecting this. The poor victim's body had been almost decapitated and the blood that pooled from her neck had fully dried. This body was not fresh. There was a deep gnash running down her abdomen and when Shu inched closer to investigate, he reeled back, shocked.

"I do not think this to be one of her murders." He whispered into Clarke's ear, cold lips brushing against her earlobe as she gulped anxiously.

"Why is that?" She replied in a whisper.

"That body has been disembowelled," he said, "I doubt Amabelle would do that." He was about to wander off when Jessamine grasped his bicep, pulling him back.

"You need to remember that this is not your Amabelle; this is a monster." Shu's jaw clenched as he shoved Jessamine off, disappearing into the shadows as he sulked.