A Treasure Map

"Why do we not tell the world that the Lipstick Killer is a shapeshifter?" Sergeant Smith asked for the fifth time, causing detective Clarke to heave a heavy sigh.

"Humans are weak-minded and terrified of the unknown," Shu explained as he sauntered into the briefing room, "if word got out that a Shapeshifter - a rare creature, mostly believed to be a myth - murders would be happening everywhere."

"You are late," Clarke frowned from where he stood before the blackboard, chalk in hand. "However, yes, you are correct." Clarke's eyes turned to Smith. "As the Killer is working in a pattern rather than a killing spree, we do not wish to cause such a commotion. You understand, yes?" Smith only nodded in response as Clarke turned to face the blackboard.

He'd written 'The Lipstick Killer' and had branched off the victims, writing their cause of death beneath. 

'Alyssia Rodd - Called the service herself, suicidal, claw marks down her back. (Shapeshifter Talons).'

'Evangelina Tanks - Unknown who called the service, estranged by her family, died to a Shapeshifter's bite.'

'Ophelia Linnens - Older Sister (Mary) called the service, disguised as a vampire kill (shapeshifter bite).'

In a far corner, not connected to the Lipstick Killer but to a question mark, was their most recent victim's name.

'Sheila Tanks - Almost fully decapitated, disembowelled. Not much else is known.'

"We never did find out the significance of a medici dagger," sighed Clarke as he placed the chalk piece down, sitting himself in one of the nearby chairs, dragging a hand through his hair, messing his ponytail. Shu's eyes never left the human as Smith rambled on about something irrelevant.

"My family's blacksmith forges them," he then said, noticing the way Clarke's ears perked up. His brown eyes were wide as they met Shu's lazy pair. "You won't find them in the human realm; I do not feel like taking you to my realm either."

"Realm?" Clarke's eyebrows furrowed, earning a smug smirk from Shu.

"Where my castle resides, Clarke," he said, "did you really think a vampire kingdom would survive in the human realm?"

"I suppose you are correct," sighed Clarke as he rubbed his temples, "however, why is she using your family's daggers?"

"I do not know," frowned Shu, "perhaps she wishes to frame me?"

"Sergeant, please leave us." Clarke dismissed the officer with such elegance and Shu's eyebrow raised when the door clicked shut.

"Longing for a solo moment with me, Clarke Dearest?" He teased, smirking as the human's cheeks flushed.

"I wished to ask about your past relationship with Miss Ritchen." Shu's eyes were as wide as saucers as Clarke stood, stumbling over to the chair opposite him at the desk he sat at.

"I do not see how that has anything to do with this."

"There would be a reason if she were to frame you, yes?"

"I locked her up."

"I suppose that works, however-"

"You are too intrigued by my love life, Clarke."

Again, his cheeks were furious as his jaw clenched. "I couldn't care less about your love history," he muttered.

The room was thick with silence as the pair sat, Clarke's fingers tapping on the table and Shu's foot tapping on the floor. He finally caved. "I was smitten with her," Clarke's eyes softened as Shu leaned back in his chair with a long sigh, "I admit, I was captivated by her from the very moment we'd met." A smile - a genuine smile - graced his lips as he looked up at the ceiling.