Epilogue

Many centuries later.

Shu Sakamaki had been King for more than half of his life by now. He had won many wars, solved many troubles and he’d spent his time alone. Afterall, Shu’s heart belonged to one. 

It’s not that Shu hadn’t tried. He had married one lady, her name had been Jessica… but he hadn’t married her out of love. It was to test his inability to produce an heir; once that had been made clear, he’d divorced her and spent his years alone, sitting in the flower fields and looking up at the beautiful, golden statue or two women and a longsword which penetrated them.

Shu knew these women, he had loved both of them at one point in his life. Amabelle Ritchens, his bride picked by his father, his first love. Jessamine Clarke, his lover picked by himself, his true love.

The statue had been built as soon as Karlehinz’s head had been taken off. Shu cared for it daily, planting flowers (with the help of his youngest brother) around it and polishing it daily. Shu had nothing better to do, and even if he did, it could wait.

When the moon rose, Shu would play his violin to the states, he would play that song he’d composed for Jessamine… and the many other songs he later composed in her memory. He performed a private concert for his true love, his goodbye which lasted several lonely centuries.

Shu would never forget the woman he longed to marry; he couldn’t wait to be reunited with her.

-_-_-_-

Relief was the first thing he felt when his nephew sliced his head off. Shu’s eyes closed and his entire body relaxed as his blood splattered across the ballroom floor. Finally, finally he’d be with her.

And she was waiting when he awoke.

“Good morning, Sleepyhead.” Her smile was so beautiful as she brushed Shu’s curls away from his face. “I’ve been waiting for you.”

“Jess…”

“You remember my face?” Her dark eyes grew teary as he sat himself up, almost in disbelief.

“How could I forget?” He whispered, leaning forward to take her face in his hands. “I- I’m so angry with you.”

“The past is the past,” Jessamine scowled, “and besides, we both knew that only one of us was going to make it out alive. I’m just glad we married beforehand.”

“It was for only one night.”

“Not for me, it was for the rest of my life.”

“Which was only one night.” Shu chuckled, pulled her into his chest and inhaled the scent he’d missed so much. “Do we get to stay here together forever?”

“Until we’re forgotten.”

“I never forgot you,” he whispered.

“That’s why I’m still here.”