Pretend

“This isn’t much of a ball…” commented Jessamine who stood in the centre of the emptied church, dressed in a lovely rose-pink ball gown. “I’ve never been to a ball… but aren’t there supposed to be… more people?”

“I was exaggerating when I said a ball,” replied Shu as he walked across the polished floor, adjusting his cuffs. “You are exquisite, as always, my dear.”

“You aren’t healed,” she said, “we should wait-”

“The Shapeshifter is weakened.” He said, looking down at her with his stoic face. “This is our only chance.”

“Do we have to dress up?”

“I just bought you that dress, do you hate it?”

“It’s rather itchy.”

“I shall help you remove it later.”

Her cheeks were as pink as her dress as Shu held out his gloved hand. “The music is lovely,” he said, “would you care for a dance?”

“I cannot dance for the life of me.”

Jessamine was a quick learner and the pair waltzed across the polished floor elegantly, only slowing when Jessamine would wince. “You are meant to maintain eye contact,” said Shu, causing Jessamine’s head to lift.

“If you want your toes safe, I would advise against that.”

Shu chuckled, his hand tightening on her waist as they span once more. “Jessamine,” he then said, pulling her closer, “I…”

“It isn’t like you to stumble on your words, Mr Sakamaki.”

“I have said, many a time, that I am fond of you,” he said, “and I am very sorry for how your first date ended.”

“How do first dates usually end in your company, Mr Sakamaki?”

“With a kiss,” he smirked.

“As I said yesterday, keep dreaming.”

“I will.”

They span again and Jessamine cleared her throat. “Did you want to kiss her?”

“Hm?”

“T-The other me.”

“Oh,” Shu’s smirk never left his lips, “are you jealous?”

“N-no! I just… wondered, that’s all.”

“Have you ever been kissed, Clarke?”

“Of course not,” she replied, “why would anyone willingly kiss me?”

“I would,” said Shu, “and I wouldn't hesitate.”

“Well,” she blushed, “you are just a strange specimen.”

“Jessamine…”

“What happened to Jess?”

“Jess,” Shu cleared his throat, “I want you to marry me.”

Jessamine stopped moving as she looked up at Shu, his words slowly processing. “Are you… have you lost your mind?” She frowned. “You… I’m mortal, Shu. I will die and you won’t even remember my face.”

“Then I would like to pretend,” he said, “let us get married here, now.”

“You cannot pretend something so serious!”

“Jessamine Clarke,”

“Shu Sakamaki.”

“Will you do me the honour of becoming my pretend bride?”