Prologue: The Day the Family's Light Was Born

WORDS: 2413

Alice's (Harumi's Mother) POV:

"Halt, we're finally having a child!"

My stomach was growing by the week. At 21 weeks, we found out that our child was going to be a little girl. A little princess. I was not going to let her fall into a matrimonial alliance. As a young princess, I had wished I would not be in an arranged marriage like my own parents. They had always fought, vowing that they hated one another and wished they never married each other. 

They had no choice.

I begged my parents not to let me have an arranged marriage. I didn't want to have the same experiences as them. Loathing one another, glaring at my so-called lover.  I wanted to marry someone I truly loved. Arranged marriages were common in royal families and I was the first born. To continue my parents' legacies, I had to marry a prince from another kingdom, Ninjago. I was originally from Shintaro. My younger brother would rule Shintaro, and I would be betrothed to the prince of Ninjago, Halt Kognito. We hadn't even met each other. My mother and father would comfort me and say, "We have to live up to a role that was bestowed upon us. We never chose these mantles we hold."

Those words weren't comforting. Why couldn't I marry someone I loved? Why couldn't I have my fairytale wedding? My brother on the other hand, Vangelis, my younger brother by two years gave me comforting words. 

"You won't be alone, Alice. I will have an arranged marriage. I too wanted to marry my true love, my soulmate. Alas, we all have a role to play. Ours is in the palace. Our hearts mustn't interfere."

Soon the fateful day of my wedding arrived, and I met him. Halt. He looked so ravishing and handsome. He wore his Royal Navy commander uniform. He had served in the Royal Navy, trained as a jet pilot, and served in the Royal Air Force. His beautiful blue eyes seized the light. He had blonde hair, eyes as blue as the ocean, and a chiseled jaw. He had seen me. His pupils soon started to dilate. I felt my cheeks start to burn with color. I couldn't. I couldn't fall in love with him. He was no one to me. A stranger. 

Halt's POV:

My parents had told me that the princess of Shintaro was ethereal-looking. I had no idea that they weren't just saying that to get me to marry her. Like my soon-to-be wife, Alice, I was the firstborn, heir to the throne. I had no siblings. It was up to me to make my parents proud. I wanted to marry someone I truly loved, and they loved me back.  I never had met Alice, nor seen her. She stayed away from the cameras. However, when reporters took pictures of her, she was always on the front cover of newspapers and magazines. 

The day of my matrimonial marriage had arrived. They were right. Alice was ethereal. She was dressed in an ivory silk taffeta-laced gown. Her train was at least 15 feet with around 150 yards of tulle veil. Her hair was a beautiful blonde, almost the color white. Her eyes were a beautiful jade green. She was slim and had the most stunning, kind smile. When she smiled, I felt my cheeks redden. She was beautiful. Would she be beautiful on the inside as well? 

My faithful Master-At-Arms, Hutchins, stood by my side, as I did not have any siblings. I watched her walk down the aisle. Her arm was put through her father's arm as he squeezed it. She looked uncomfortable, and so did I. I was going to be married to a beautiful girl. A girl whom I had never met. A stranger. 

Alice's POV:

It was finally my turn. My mother had walked down, my groom, his best man, my bridesmaids, who were my mother's friends, the flower girl, and the ring bearer had all gone. As I walked down, I felt my heart pounding. I was marrying a man I didn't know. A stranger. I had to mask my emotions. It felt like time had slowed as I and my father walked down the aisle. I heard many people, "Ooh" and "Aah" as I walked down. I felt extremely uncomfortable. I had never been in front of this many cameras. My father squeezed my hand when he met my eyes. I had always been a daddy's girl. I offered my best smile to him. Finally, I was met in the middle. My father had let go of my hand and joined my mother and brother on my side. The wedding officiant both asked if we were ready to proceed and if not to speak now. We both nodded.