Chapter 1: The Death of His Light

WARNING! ABUSE! IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO THIS TALK, PLEASE SKIP THE PARTS WITH IT IN IT. I WILL WARN YOU WHEN IT STARTS!

WORDS: 3308

May's (Alice's Maid) POV:

Alice and I were close friends back in Shintaro. I was her loyal maid. I was there when her parents weren't. When they had made her get into that arranged marriage with Halt, she brought me with her. I gladly went along. I couldn't leave her there to be in a place where she had never been. When she and Halt had their first child, Harumi, I was there. I felt like a proud aunt.

She and I were like sisters in a way. I had watched over her back, and she did to me. I had helped her take care of Harumi when she kept both Alice and Halt up. Alice had given me a luxurious room smaller than Harumi's. The other maids there were furious. They thought I was just like them, but to cool the rest of the maids down, Alice had given them rooms the same size as mine. Alice was an amazing Empress. She knew all of the workers' names. She refused when people called her, "My Queen", "My Empress", "Queen Alice", and "Empress Alice". She preferred it when people just called her Alice. Her only name, and her true name. She was modest, kind, and beautiful inside and outside.

I had gotten the young princess to bed. She was restless. She kept waking up in a cold sweat screaming at me. Her room was large, almost as big as her mother's. It was decorated with little pictures of animals, large stuffed animals more prominent than her, and her favorite color. Green.

She had a vanity table where she took makeup from her mother. Alice was Harumi's greatest inspiration and motivator. Harumi's room had some stacked storage against the walls, toy segregator boxes, open shelves for books, and some little furniture items that doubled up as toys and sitting areas. Alice wanted her child to have a normal room, not neutral-colored like beige. A normal room for Alice would not have chandeliers or random tapestries plastered everywhere of formal rulers. A normal kids' room would look like a kid who slept and lived there.

Every night before Alice's sickness, she had come to Harumi's room and read her a book. Harumi's favorite book was Quest for The Lost Powers. Although they read it at least ten times together, Harumi was always jumping for joy when Alice reached for it.

I watched Harumi sleep, more or so comfortably. An hour had passed by and she had not woken up. Soon, someone knocked on Harumi's Shoji (door). I opened the door to find Hutchins.

"May. Good evening to you." Hutchins spoke.

"As do you. Good evening to you. Do you need something?" I inquired.

"Yes. The Empress is calling for you." Hutchins spoke monotonically. "Follow me to her room, I'll escort you there."

"I do not need anyone to escort me to her room," I replied. "I've lived here for six years. I know the route to Alice's room."

"It's Empress Alice to you," Hutchins hissed.

In the end, I ultimately followed him to her room.

Alice's POV:

Someone had to protect my little RuRu.

When the doctor had told Halt that Harumi was the cause of my sickness, I had seen a wicked glint in his eyes I had never seen before. Those beautiful sapphire blue eyes, the ones I had always gotten lost in. Where were those eyes?

Once the elemental transference ceremony was complete, I started coughing and blood spewed out of my mouth. As Harumi yelled at me and asked what was wrong, all I could reply was with coughs. She screamed and wailed, and soon Halt and the doctors ran in. Harumi looked horrified. Halt had held my hand as I kept coughing. The doctors had smashed an oxygen mask over my face, and that's when everything had gone black.