1.

As dawn broke on the penal island of Suvro, a tempestuous wind wailed, blanketing the land in an eerie gloom. The island's name, derived from the ancient Sahilab language, signified 'crow', a moniker that seemed all too appropriate given the numerous feathered watchers who kept a keen eye on the unfortunate inmates. These ominous crows, with their large, gleaming eyes, maintained an unbroken vigil, shrouding themselves in the night's obscurity, ever watchful, their silhouettes merging with the darkness.

Within the shores of Suvro, a grim spectacle unfolded - a bleak sanctuary for two hundred captive souls, presided over by one hundred thirty stern guards, their very existence instilling fear and marking Suvro as one of Erebu's most fearsome sites. The island's harsh climate played an accomplice, exerting its cruel control over the prisoners. In the grip of winter, the skies shed relentless torrents of rain to the mournful song of the wailing winds. With the arrival of summer, oppressive humidity smothered the island, creating a haven for relentless insects that added to the prisoners' misery.

In the northern reaches of the island, outside of the prison walls, the Sahilabian fishing community had reluctantly become accustomed to the intrusive presence of the Moundowans, who had seized their homeland in a brutal conflict three decades prior. Though time had marched forward, the scars of occupation still festered, and a palpable tension clung to the atmosphere like a suffocating mist. Their fishing activities were confined to the island's outskirts, as the larger vessels had been seized by the Moundowans to transport supplies from the mainland.

In the continent where three realms had once thrived under the rule of powerful and cooperative monarchs, a bitter dispute erupted. For centuries, the eldest child of these monarchs would inherit extraordinary powers bestowed by the spirits, eventually ascending to the throne upon their parent's relinquishment of these abilities. However, a shocking turn of events came to pass with the tragic birth of Queen Otha's child. Both mother and infant perished during childbirth, shrouding the child's paternity in mystery.

Subsequently, power shifted to the youngest and most closely related member of the royal bloodline, Queen Otha's uncle, Prince Whystan. Within the realm of Moundow, he issued an edict to reject the spirits, disallowing any form of tribute and branding individuals with extraordinary abilities as accursed. These hapless individuals were mandated to attire themselves in conspicuous garments of a vibrant cherry-red hue and to lead segregated lives, distinct from the broader populace.

Prince Whystan sought to rationalize his severe measures by suggesting that the spirits were inherently malevolent. That the spirits bore responsibility for the untimely passing of Queen Otha and her child. Simultaneously, claiming that the powers bestowed by the spirits were a cruel mockery, designed to mock and torment the common people.

Consequently, individuals endowed with such powers became pariahs, viewed as aberrations to be shunned. In this kingdom, every parent fervently hoped that their offspring would remain untouched by these powers, dreading the disdain and scorn that would befall their innocent children. The weight of this rejection led many to forsake their belief in the spirits entirely, seeking solace in the ordinary and mundane aspects of life. The waning reverence for the spirits resulted ina dwindling number of individuals graced with exceptional powers in the yearsthat followed within the realm.

Many rallied to his cause, severely straining the realm's relationships with neighbouring kingdoms and leading to the dissolution of crucial trade routes. This escalated into a conflict between King Whystan, King Abioye of Peysola, and King Gaspar of Sahilab. Moundow, fortunate to control the powerful resource-rich Drenched Ore Mountains, had amassed a formidable, robust army. Tragedy struck as King Abioye fell in battle, and King Gaspar found himself detained and imprisoned.

When the dust finally settled, the vast kingdom of Peysola had fallen under Moundowan control, and the southern expanse of Sahilab had met the same fate. This forced the merpeople of Imok, who once inhabited Sahilab's coast, to retreat to the icy Northwestern Sea—an area fraught with perilous currents and treacherous waters. Even the bravest sailors dared not venture there without trepidation of the enigmatic and dangerous unknown that awaited them.