3.

Caterina awoke the next morning, her body feeling lighter than it had in days. Her throat was no longer sore, and her nose had cleared. The feverish chills and aches had disappeared overnight, as if they were mere figments of a bad dream. She felt a surge of strength course through her veins, a welcome change from the debilitating weakness of the previous days. Was it possible that the gods had heard her desperate plea and granted her a miraculous respite from her illness?

Her contemplation was interrupted by the distant yet distinct sounds of a bustling harbour. The cries of seabirds echoed in her ears, the hustle and bustle of people and carriages created a chaotic symphony, and the rhythmic lapping of water against the edge of a harbour painted a vivid picture of their nearing destination. She strained her ears, trying to catch every sound, every hint of the world outside her confinement.

Suddenly, a voice she didn't recognize exclaimed from outside the pen, "We're almost there!" The air around her seemed to buzz with urgency, and moments later, she heard Saulo's voice, instructing someone in a hushed tone, "Place her in one of the large barrels."

A few minutes passed before the door creaked open, revealing Airas. A sly grin was plastered on his face, and in his hand, he held a cloth. Without a word, he squatted down beside her, his movements quick and deliberate. Before she could react, he had wrapped the cloth around her mouth and eyes, effectively blinding her and muffling her voice. Only her nostrils were left uncovered, allowing her to breathe. She was plunged into darkness, her senses robbed from her, leaving her feeling more vulnerable than ever. Caterina despised the control Airas held over her and the satisfaction he seemed to derive from it.

With the cloth securely fastened at the back of her head, Airas effortlessly lifted her, cradling her in his robust arms. Despite being shorter than both Airas and Saulo, she had never considered herself fragile. At twenty years old, her training and perilous lifestyle had honed her into a woman of average build, with strength born from necessity. However, the recent days spent imprisoned, coupled with her illness, had taken a toll on her physique. The meagre rations she had been given had left her leaner than usual, and her weight had dropped significantly.

Blindfolded and unable to see, Caterina's other senses became acutely attuned to her surroundings. She could smell the musky aroma of Airas, the salty sea breeze mingling with the scent of his sun-kissed skin. She heard the echo of footsteps on the wooden floor, the distinctive creak of the door swinging open, and the groan of the wooden stairs under their weight. Suddenly, she felt herself being lowered into a confined space, and the lid closing overhead muffled the outside noise. The pungent stench of decaying food filled her nostrils, almost overwhelming her.

Trapped within the tight confines of the barrel, she could hardly move. Her arms were pinned between her legs and torso, her head forced down. She felt the barrel being tipped onto its side, the sudden movement sending a jolt of pain through her body. She was rolled away, leaving her to wonder where they were taking her.

The journey seemed endless, marked only by the sounds that filtered through the cloth covering her ears and the foul odours surrounding her. The rising cacophony of seagulls and people suggested they were in a bustling harbour, but the accents of the voices were inscrutable and elusive. The blindfold prevented her from gathering any clues about her whereabouts.

After what felt like an eternity, the barrel was once again set in motion. The sound of hooves on damp ground suggested they had transferred her onto a wagon and that it had recently rained. The journey continued for hours, each turn and bump a potential clue to their destination. The changes in terrain and the subtle sounds of the environment became her guideposts in the darkness.

As the hours passed, Caterina's body ached from being confined in one position for so long. Hunger gnawed at her, and she was exhausted. Eventually, she could no longer hold her bladder and, in her weakened state, soiled herself.