2.

As the sun arched high in the sky, Caterina's anticipation began to mount. She had spent the entire morning on the beach, her eyes constantly scanning the horizon for any sign of the resistance. But so far, everything seemed normal - too normal. The guards were going about their usual routines, showing no signs of alertness or suspicion. The lack of activity was unnerving, making her question whether the escape plan was still in motion.

Caterina had gone to great lengths to maintain her cover. She had convinced her roommate that she was suffering from a severe stomach ache, causing her to miss out on her duties for the day. Given the times Caterina had stood in for her roommate when she was ill, the latter was more than willing to return the favour. This gave Caterina a valid excuse to spend the day on the beach without raising any suspicions.

To blend in with the other inmates, Caterina carefully chose tasks that would not draw attention to herself. She spent hours washing her hair in the salty seawater, pretending to be engrossed in the task. She then moved on to her clothes and bedding, meticulously scrubbing them as if she were dealing with a lice infestation. These mundane tasks provided a perfect cover for her true intentions.

While she worked, her mind was elsewhere, constantly alert for any signs of the impending escape plan. Every movement of the guards, every rustle of the leaves, every squawk of the crows - she took note of it all, looking for any possible indication of a disturbance.

~

The noon sun beat down on her, but she didn't let the heat deter her. She knew the stakes were too high, and she couldn't afford to let her guard down. As the hours passed, her anticipation grew. Would the resistance make their move soon? Or had something gone wrong? Only time would tell. For now, all she could do was wait and stay alert.

As the last rays of the sun disappeared beyond the horizon, Caterina's gaze remained fixed on the swaying bed sheets hanging from an old rope between two trees near the lighthouse. She sat in the cooling sand, feigning interest in her belongings to deter any potential thieves among the other inmates. The evening chill seeped into her bones, and she instinctively curled up into a protective ball, trying to conserve as much body heat as possible. Despite her jacket providing some protection from the biting sea breeze, the cold was relentless. But Caterina couldn't afford to seek refuge now. The rhythm of the crashing waves kept her company as she waited, her eyes slowly adjusting to the darkness.

Suddenly, a rustling sound from the bushes behind her caught her attention. As her eyes strained to make out the figure emerging from the darkness, she recognized it as Saulo, accompanied by two other men. His inquisitive gaze scanned her face, perhaps assessing her readiness for the task ahead. She returned his silent thumbs-up, signalling her preparedness.

With a reassuring nod, Saulo knelt beside her, the two men positioning themselves behind them, hidden by the dense vegetation. Their timing had to be perfect - they had to wait for the lighthouse light to pass over them before making their move. Once the path was clear, Saulo led the way, crouching low to avoid detection.

Caterina's heart pounded in her chest as she followed Saulo and his comrades. She had gone over her plan countless times in her head. Her mission was clear: she had to identify the person who would attempt to rescue them, likely Saulo's brother. Once the rescue was underway, she would alert the guards and ensure both were captured. This would effectively help dismantle the northern Sahilabian resistance group, clearing the path for Moundowan expansion and free her from the island. If she was unable to identify Saulo's brother, her fallback plan was to trace their route back to the resistance headquarters and gather as much information as possible about its location and operations. This vital intelligence would then be relayed back to her superiors at the agency.