CH 31 | EXCAVATING THE TRUTH

Touching the brim of the white cup with golden-amber carving, he took a sip of his espresso as his pinky was propped at the bottom of the white- golden cup while his eyes traced the vista outside the glass pane of the Green cafe he was currently settled in, waiting for Officer Jung.

His inners weren't at ease since yesterday when Officer Jung told him that he wanted to talk something and the alarm of danger was just cherry on the top. He placed the cup back in the cup plate.

All he could reminisce was the murky night when Thomas died and his words were looping in his mind, "Why don't ask your father?"

"What are you hiding from me, dad? I can't understand. There is someone coming up and I don't think it will be good for you. I just want... just this time my conscience should come out wrong." Staring at the glass pane blankly, in his own thoughts.

"Mr. Kim." Taehyung broke out in his reverie in which he was in the last few minutes as he didn't see the awaiting person striding in his direction.

Twitching his iris skyward, Taehyung discerned Officer Jung standing across his table looking down at him as Taehyung raised up his feet from the chair he was seated on, "Oh! I didn't see you."

Stretching his hand for a handshake, Officer Jung shook his hand when Taehyung gestured him to settle down, "Take a seat, please." Officer Jung took a seat across Taehyung's when the black file came in his eyeshot which Officer Jung was clutching onto.

Officer Jung also directed his eyes in the direction in which Taehyung was looking and soon enough he placed the black file on the table without creating a hearable sound.

Wiggling his eyes from the file to Officer Jung, Taehyung asked, "So...Officer Jung, What did you want to tell me?"

Scrutinizing the officer's expression as he sucked in his teeth prior to saying, "I thought I couldn't tell this to you over the call so I asked you to meet up."

Taehyung knitted his eyebrows while his inner was perturbed as he asked, "What is it about?" Gulping down a lump in his throat while his palm folded in a fist as Officer Jung answered, "It's... about your father, Mr. Kim."

Taehyung could feel his guts burning up as this throat couldn't form even a single word while his mind went blank and his worst nightmare was coming verisimilitude in front of his orbs and the file was just captivating him as his eyes traced the black color of long in the tooth file.

The file was not pristine but not antiquated either as the periphery of the leatherette was dwindled and the left corner of the file was crumbling where the material was decrepit as if the file was holding a heavy weight for a long time and was scarred.

"I thought..." Officer Jung started making Taehyung come out of his reverie as he wiggled his orbs from officer Jung then to the file and back at him when he added, "I thought to tell you this before anyone else."

Taehyung opened his perspiring palms while gulping down a lump in his throat before stretching his hand to flap the file open as his heart throbbed in his rib cage.

Flapping the file open, reluctantly he traced his eyes at the letter inked in black over the pale white tincture paper.

Over the description he acknowledged that it was a case file and he read out the name of the victim, his eyes enlarged over the realization, "Thomas's wife. She had an accident." Flipping to the other page with inquisitiveness which made his heart sank after reading out the name of the person who was the prime suspect, "Dad!"

"Dad..." Taehyung let out a mutter before adding, "He committed an accident..." Officer Jung took over the lead for the explanation, "Your father committed an accident, Mr. Kim and I were sure that you were unaware of that."