I

Prince Cassius was an extraordinarily handsome young man and he knew that.

What with his stormy grey eyes, dark waves, chiseled features and lean body. Who could deny it?

His cousin, Prince Lexington, was equally as alluring. The only difference was that his eyes were hazel and his hair was the darkest blond.

They walked side to side between their soldiers in the capital, both adorned in their shiny black military uniforms, their capes swishing behind them as they moved.

All around them soldiers rose to their feet and bowed low.

They paused in front of a unique looking campsite and shared a glance. 

The tents were all black, splattered with small white specks resembling a night sky with stars. There were fairy lights on some of the tents, even.

Unlike the other campsites they passed, this one was buzzing and everyone was moving and talking.

A big group sat around a burning fire burning in a small pit.

"Well, this is nice," said Lex with a small grin.

Cassius grinned back and stared around in wonder. "Look," he said quietly, pointing at the two red stripes on the first tent in front of them. "It's a Captain's camp."

"Wonder who's in charge," muttered Lex, his sharp eyes flickering from soldier to another.

"—I'll trust you when you start acting so smug in the battlefield, Private." A soft, amused voice sounded, making them turn to the side.

A girl was walking backwards, arms laden with files, her dark hair unbound—which was against the military uniform.

"Captain—" the young man with light brown hair behind her tried to warn, his blue eyes widening as he gestured behind her, but too late. Her back had already slammed into Cassius's side and her files dropped around.

"Fuck's sake," she mumbled in her hoarse voice, crouching to pick them up but her companion hauled her up and to her feet, turning her to face the two Princes.

She blinked then her eyes widened comically and she bowed shallowly, hastily. The Private joined her. 

He pinched her arm but she shot him a sharp glare.

"Rise," said Lex with barely masked amusement. 

They both did, the girl turned to the boy and gestured lazily to the campsite. "Off you go, Sallow."

"But—" he started to protest but she gave him a look and he complied, stooping to collect her files before walking away, shooting a glance over his shoulder.

The girl turned to them and smiled slightly. 

"How old are you?" said Lex, his eyes stopping on the red stripes on her sleeves and then to her open jacket, showing a black tank top underneath. "Captain?" he added.

"Eighteen," she answered confidently. 

The Princes shared a look. 

"But that can't be true, darling," said Cassius gently. "Recruitment starts at seventeen—or fifteen for the medics—but you're already a Captain which means you've been here, on the battlefield, for at least three years."

She bobbed her head, fingers working quickly to button up her jacket. "I've been recruited at twelve. You can check my files."

"What's your name?" asked Lex, swiping up a blue screen from his wrist.

"Asteria Frost, your Highness," she said softly.

Cassius stared at her as he waited for Lex's results. She was beautiful. Too beautiful to be thrown into battle.