XV

A couple of weeks passed since Lex's birthday ball and things were normal.

As normal as they could be for an engaged warrior trying to play a game of pretend.

Sylvia was staying in some chambers in the East residence wings but she rarely made an appearance.

Currently, Asteria was limping out of Ayre's class, her cheeks flushed and her lips downturned. 

"Stupid hag," she muttered under her breath, checking the thin silver watch Atticus had gifted her on dinner the previous night. It was time for dinner and she hurried to the dinning chamber, free of books.

"Good evening," she said, her eyes flickering around the occupants of the seats. 

Lex, Louis, Sylvia, Zara and Zoya. 

She suppressed a groan and took the empty seat seat next to Louis, narrowing her eyes at Lex who sat across her.

"Uncle and Cass won't join us tonight," he informed her casually. "They're having dinner in Uncle's private quarters."

"And you're not invited?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

"He said tomorrow's my night," he answered with an easy grin.

"Any idea what it's about?" she asked.

Lex shrugged his shoulders in a very un-Royal like way. "No clue."

"You ask too much," sneered Zoya.

"You bullshit too much," drawled Sylvia, grinning when Zoya's glare turned to her.

"Go take care of your son, bitch!"

"Ladies," said Asteria in a mock posh voice. "This is not a very nice way for a noble lady to speak or act, is it?"

Sylvia burst out laughing while Zoya scowled. Louis turned to grin at her, whistling. "Ayre's applied her touch already, huh?"

It was Asteria's turn to scowl.

There wasn't much talk through dinner. Everyone seemed too dull and tired to talk. Even Lex and Louis looked drained.

After Asteria excused herself from the depressing meal, she took a walk around the gardens she now knew too well, ignoring the Sentinels warnings that she had to be inside the palace soon. It was after two hours in Soley's gazebo when she decided she was too tired and just wanted to sleep.

She tripped twice as she accompanied the Sentinel to Cassius's chambers. 

"Are you all right, my Lady?" he said, raising his eyebrows.

She tried to nod but she ended up shrugging, the wine she had for dinner affecting her greatly.

She paused at the arch of his bedchamber, blinking. 

He was shirtless—a sight she was still trying to get used to—and his head was bowed as his fingers clenched around the edges of his desk.

She turned away from him, settling for acting as though he wasn't there, but she ended up tripping again.

He startled, turning to her with a heaving chest.

"Sorry," she mumbled, dropping on the edge of the bed and taking off her heeled boots. 

"You're late," he said in a rasping voice.

She squinted then looked up at him. "You weren't there for dinner," she countered.

He didn't smile like he would when she countered his remarks. 

"What's wrong?" she blurted out.

Slowly, he began to walk towards her until he was standing right in front of her. She kept her gaze on his hand to avoid looking up at his face. Then he sank to his knees.