II

When they got off the jet, Asteria ran to one of the huge plant pots outside the palace and hurled all the contents of her stomach.

The Princes grimaced at each other while Lukas laughed.

When she straightened up, a Sentinel handed her some handkerchiefs and Cassius wrapped his cape around her shoulders.

She and Lukas paused at the gates and their jaws dropped.

The palace was huge with a lot of towers and pillars surrounded by trees. 

The turrets were all polished, the walls were clean and looked as though they were just built, the gates were polished black and only opened with Cassius's handprint.

"Do you think Ares's inside?" she whispered to Lukas anxiously.

He shrugged. "I hope so."

They followed the Sentinels and they stopped in a vast chamber where three thrones were placed on a raised platform.

But Asteria didn't even register the fancy, vast chamber. Her eyes fell on the figure against a pillar, knees pulled up to their chest and head in bandaged hands.

"Ares!" she cried, recognising the shock of brown hair immediately.

He looked up and quickly rose to his feet when she began to run towards him, her bag and cape falling to the floor.

She jumped into his arms, nearly knocking him back. 

"Hey, Star, hey," he whispered, his voice shaking as he gripped her tightly, pressing his lips on her head. 

She choked on a sob in response, burying her face in his neck. He rested his forehead on her head, trying to control his tears in front of the others but his entire body was trembling.

Asteria pulled back and cupped his face, moving it gently to examine him. "You're hurt, Ares. Your hands—"

"—are fine," he rasped, gripping her shoulders. "They offered to take me to the medical wing but I told them I wasn't going anywhere till I saw you."

She frowned but he gave a crooked grin. 

"You've got a lot to tell me."

She nodded and stepped to his side, letting him lean on her before turning to the Princes and Lukas. "This's Lukas Sallow. We met three years ago when he first joined the army."

Lukas walked towards them, hand outstretched. "Nice to meet you, man."

"You too," whispered Ares, shaking his hand and smiling slightly.

"And I assume you know who these are," said Asteria, gesturing at the Princes.

Ares nodded and bowed his head. "I hope you I won't be punished for not bowing. Though in my defense, my back's quite injured."

Cassius laughed and copied Lukas's action, shaking Ares's hand followed by Lex.

"We thank you for your services, General Frost," said Cassius, the words sounding practiced. "We hope you know that the Kingdom is proud of you."

Ares's smile was haunted.

"Allow me to escort you to the medical wing," said Lex, gesturing at the Sentinels and pointing at the bags.

"Can I go with him?" asked Asteria, her eyes pleading.

Lex glanced at his cousin and the latter shrugged. "Very well, follow me," said Lex, going to Ares's other side.

"It's fine," Ares gritted out painfully, trying to stand without their help, his face flushing.

"Don't be stubborn," muttered Lex, putting his arm around his neck and gesturing at Asteria to let go. The Sentinels immediately closed around him but he held a hand to stop them and walked the siblings away.