III

Just like everything else in the palace, the dining chamber was fancy and luxurious.

Crystal chandeliers hung over a long table that could probably seat fifty people, seventy if the seats were pushed closer to each other. The pillars and windows were polished clean and the chairs were decorated with what Asteria knew was pure silver. The white cloth on the table was the whitest shade she'd ever seen. The food on top of eat would probably feed a village or two. 

Cassius sat on the head of the table, his back facing them and his front facing the ornate fireplace. Lexington sat on his left and Ares—dressed in a white button down, black pants and a dark purple cape—sat on his right.

Cassius turned when Lex and Ares smiled at the doorway, his lips pulled into a small smile and he beckoned them over.

"Morning," muttered Asteria when she passed towards the empty seat on Ares's side.

"Good morning," chanted the Princes, sharing a glare after.

"Hey, kid," murmured Ares with the smallest of smiles. "Sleep well?"

"Not really," she muttered, grinning at a maid as she filled her plate with omelette, smoked salmon, mashed potatoes and sausages. 

Ares turned to her, his light hazel eyes falling on bruises or scars he could see. His face became pained and he looked away from her, eyes closing lightly as his breath staggered.

She bit her lip and reached for a pitcher, not used to being presented with all that food at once. The maid beat her to it. "Coffee or tea, my Lady?"

Asteria blinked, glancing at Lukas who was laughing into his own cup of coffee.

"Tea, please," she said with polite bewilderment. 

"Green or black?"

Asteria flushed, not used to being asked for her opinion. "Whatever is fine."

The maid merely blinked at her.

"Get her green, please," said Lukas, amused.

The maid bowed her head and poured some into Asteria's dark blue cup.

"Thank you," muttered Asteria, cheeks still red.

Ares grinned slightly at her, clearly as amused as the other three.

She took a sip and tried not to gag. Green tea was disgusting without sugar but she was supposed to have gotten used to it since it was mostly all they had access to at the military. Still, she grabbed the small jar of sugar and pleased herself with it. 

Eating with a knife and a fork was trickier. She sat there, trying not to flush in embarrassment each time her knife dropped from her left hand. She glanced at Lukas to find that he had abandoned the effort and grabbed a bowl of cereal with dried fruits instead. Ares was pushing food around with his fork, eyes distant as they stared at the coffee cup in front of him. She nudged him and he glanced down at her. 

"You're not eating," she mumbled.

"I am," he said, taking a forkful of salmon and stuffing it into his mouth.

She nodded and abandoned the disgusting stuff in her plate, reaching for a croissant instead.

"My father is coming to the palace later tonight and as much as I like your company, it is against the palace rules to keep anyone that is not a member of the Royal family in it." Cassius paused, his eyes flickering to the three of them and stopping on Asteria. "Though you will not be unrewarded. Shelters, a supply of food and drink, clothes, jobs if you want them."

"Where?" said Ares, toying with his cape. 

"Pardon?" said Cassius, frowning at him.

Ares met his eyes. "Where will you have us sent?" he elaborated, every inch the warrior.