XII

Cassius's chambers were more fit to be called an apartment.

The double doors led into a wide sitting chamber complete with a fireplace, a huge bookshelf and sofas. There was a decorated arch leading into his dark bedchamber. She looked around the chamber, noticing the desk in the corner, its front facing the bed's foot. The ornate vanity was to the arch's right and the desk on the far left. When she walked in she noticed a dark hallway next to the vanity, three single doors closed. One faced the entrance while the other two faced each other on opposite walls. 

The chambers were all painted a dark bluish green colour mostly with golden intricate designs. The chambers seemed dark and had an air of loneliness to them. Her heart ached at the thought of spending her days in them. 

The door facing the entrance of the hallway was the bath chamber. Big as the one she used the last few days, the bathtub faced the door and the glass shower was on her right once she stepped in. She avoided the mirror as she scrubbed her face clean from any makeup or tear. 

Then she opened the door on the left. An office. She left to the one facing it and took in the modern design of his wardrobe. Her clothes had already been moved, stacked and hung. She left her skirt and blouse on one of the long sofas and slipped into a black set of silk pyjamas. 

Realising it would look very strange if he entered and found his covers on the ground, she settled onto the bed, turning off the lamp on her bedside table. She bit her trembling limp, feeling her body shake even under the heavy covers. When she began to cry, she felt angry. She'd gone months without shedding a single tear on the battlefield yet here she was, crying everyday for something as stupid as marriage. Drawing in a deep, shuddering breath, she willed her tears to stop. They needed to stop.

Her new engagement ring was foreign and heavy. She took it off and set it on the bedside table, her nails digging into her palms.

It wasn't long before she fell asleep to the slow lull of music from the window.

When Cassius stepped into his bedchamber, he was in a disheveled state. His hair was messed, his eyes unfocused, his steps unbalanced, his jacket unbuttoned to reveal a black undershirt and his breath reeking of fruity scotch. He froze at the foot of his bed, lips parting. 

He didn't need to be a genius to tell that she'd been crying. Her face was anguished even when she slept, curling around his covers on the very edge of the bed. As though she wanted as much space between them as possible. The moonlight fell on the bedside table and he felt his heart stutter at the sight of her ring.

She didn't want him.

"I'm sorry," he breathed, his hand hovering over her face before he withdrew and walked to the wardrobe, noticing her clothes. It was a bittersweet kind of thing. Seeing her clothes there with his but knowing she would rather be alone than with him. 

Shaking his head, the Prince took off his uniform and pulled on a pair of track pants, pausing at the door. It would make her uncomfortable if he were to sleep next to her without a shirt. Sighing, he tugged on a white shirt and went to wash his face and brush his teeth, sobering up a little.

When he reached his—their bed, he hesitated. He didn't feel ready to sleep next to her yet. Trying to be as quiet as possible, he flicked on the lamp on his desk and sat on the armchair behind it, pulling a folder towards him. But the words all blurred together and he ended up falling asleep with his arms crossed and his head tipped back.

♜♜♜

Cassius woke up with a start at the sound of rustling. Asteria froze at the vanity and turned to him with a guilty look. He realised she was already dressed up and ready for breakfast. She wore a tight, long sleeved, black dress that brushed her thighs with an embroidered cape coat that was a little longer than the dress. Along with see-through black stockings and black heeled boots. She had two thick braids on the sides of her head before she had it all in a high ponytail.