𝒙𝒙𝒗𝒊. the fire of 1998

chapter twenty-six 
xxvi. the fire of 1998!

CHERRY SMILED AT her boyfriend dumbly. Like most days, she and Theo were curled up in one of Hogwarts' abandoned classrooms, deep in the safety of the dungeon. Far, far away from the Carrow Murder Twins—a clever term coined by Daphne, who'd visited America over the summer and listened to the CMT Network, a country music network. Cherry thought it was cute, and it was comforting, the way Daphne got stuck on the little details, the way Daphne always said, "T'ose Carrows, coming from the country!" Daphne's little accent made her say cant-ray. Or, how when they were planning traps for a prank, Daphne insisted on a small charm to help make it work better. )

          "Life is messed up," Theo said, fingering the cigarette in his mouth. Cherry's smile had now turned to plaster; she hated, hated smoking with a passion, but it made Theo happy...so in a messed up way, she was happy. 

          "Only ours, I think..." Cherry leaned in closer to Theo. 

"I promise I'll forever love you."

          "What do you think you'll do after You-Know-Who's defeated?" she asked. 

          A glimmer of something like hope fluttered in Theo's eyes, but it was quickly shut down. When he spoke, his voice was razor-sharp, and conversation ending. "We shouldn't be talking about this." The because he'll read my mind was unsaid, but there all the same. The ugly reminder that Cherry's boyfriend had a snake-skull tattoo maring his left forearm. 

          "Alright." Cherry was quick to agree, not wanting the void to grow bigger between them. She shifted for a few moments. "How're classes? The Carrows?" It seemed like a safe enough topic, she figured. 

          But Theo almost growled. "I said, we shouldn't be talking about this, Cherry! Merlin! What do you not understand?" 

          Cherry shuffled back. 

"He won't touch you." 

         The silence grew longer and longer, until Cherry finally couldn't take it. "Why?" she asked. 

         Theo stared at her. "Why what?" he seemed a little more cooperative now, so Cherry pushed. 

          "Why do you..." she waved her arms around, "I dunno...get so scared of Him?" 

          Theo looked flabbergasted, then angry. He picked himself up, and practically screamed at her, "Dumbledore's practices in your head?!" Cherry frowned and shook her head. Theo turned around, and sprinted out the door, leaving Cherry the ominous, yet true, message behind him, glittering in the air: You've never felt his wrath, be thankful. Ignoring the words, Cherry ran after Theo in hopes of catching up with him. 

          "Theo? Theo! Theo! THEO! THEO?!

          "Shut the fuck up!" 

          Cherry jumped in surprise, turning to glare at Theo, who was hidden in the nook behind her.  "Why—" she started to ask, voice cracking, but the 'why' was apparent soon enough. She could barely detect a small crackling sound, but it was there—strong and firy duh...it was fire. ) The smell—Merlin! Cherry coughed harshly.