Chapter 2

Rowena shook her head shaking the memory from her mind as she sat in the chair of her and her older brother's home, sharpening knives for their next job together. She still remembers the day that March Hare changed his name and became Mad March, the well-known assassin in all of Wonderland. And she was his secret weapon that little to no people know about, since those who do get a glance at her end up dying before they can run and tell someone what she looks like. While Rowena was sharpening the knives, Mad March was somewhere else in the house, gathering the information that they needed for the next target. Both siblings had stopped what they were doing, looking at one another as they heard someone knock on their door.

"Were you expecting company and failed to warn me about it? Because if you are, we can't have all of our weapons lying around in the open," Rowena whispered to Mad March.

"I would have told you in advance so you would have enough time to get everything cleaned up and hide. I'm just as surprised as you are that we have company visiting us right now. Take the knives and hide. Don't come out until I either get the guest to leave, or I leave with the guest. If I'm gone longer than our normal two hours of meeting with a client, I want you to take what you need and get the hell out of here. Even if you have to leave our world, I need you to get out of here and find a safe place," Mad march said.

"Brother you know I can't do that. I can't just leave you here, knowing that you need my help to save you. Besides, the only way out of this world is through the looking glass. How do you suppose I get through that without being stopped by one of her spades?"

"Rowena, we are the best assassins in wonderland. You will make it through the only way that we know how. You will rush through, and if any spade tries to stop you from leaving wonderland, then you don't show them any mercy. Send a message to all others who dare try to stop you from reaching safety. Even if you have to tell yourself over and over do what you have to do to stay alive, then do it. But promise me that you will do your best to get out of Wonderland before the queen has a chance to get her hands on you and bring you to the casino. If she does, there is no telling what she will do to you. And I don't want you to find out either," Mad March said.

"I'll do my best to get out of Wonderland. When I do, I will figure out a way to get you out as well, that way you can come to the world of the oysters with me, and we can start a new life over there. We can leave behind the world of being assassins," Rowena said.

"I'm afraid I can't do as you ask of me Rowena. Being an assassin is something that I take great pride in. I can't just leave that behind me to live in the world of oysters and hope to have a normal life. I will be on edge all the time. I won't be able to make any friends over there. And it would only be a matter of time before my assassin would take over and I accidentally kill someone, all because I felt the sudden urge to do so. Even if I try and suppress the urge, I know it will come out and many will die by my hand. I'm sorry my dear sister, but I can't go to the world of oysters with you. Should I come back, I will relocate elsewhere where the queen herself can't find me. I will even lay low and take on small jobs, if my safety means that much to you. But I need you to understand, if you bring me to the world of oysters, you are only going to be putting them in a ton of danger," Mad March explained. "But I don't want you to worry about me. I want you to worry about yourself, and what you plan to do when you get to the world of oysters. Promise me that you will leave behind the life of an assassin and do something honorable while you're there. Do something that will keep you well hidden."

Rowena thought about it for a moment. "I'll do my best to leave my old life behind me, but I can't make any promises that I won't be worried about you. You're the only family that I have left now."

"I know. But you will be fine. But now isn't the time for sentimental moments like this. We have a guest waiting at the door. And I need you to get somewhere safe until they leave," Mad March said before Rowena gathered the knives; watching as she hid in a room. Mad March waited until he was sure his sister was well hidden before making his way to the door. Mad March opened the door as the queen's guard was standing there getting ready to knock on the door again.