Chapter 4

Rowena noticed the tears starting to fall down her cheek. She couldn't help but feel bad for this woman. "Don't you own this building? Nobody can take it away from you."

"I have to pay property taxes, which are a pain. My husband used to take care of all of that. He even had money set aside for that. But I had to use that money to help pay for his final medical bills and all of his funeral costs," the landlady said.

"What about his family? Why didn't they help pay for his medical needs? Why didn't they help pay for his funeral? An even better question why aren't they helping you out right now in your time of need," Rowena asked feeling herself become outraged by what she was heard.

"Because his family wants this very apartment building. They want it for themselves to add onto the many other properties that they own, so they can make even more money. But I keep refusing to allow them to buy this building from me. This is the only thing my husband called his own, without his family having any part in it. Truth be told they refused to help him with his, because they didn't want him to marry me. And they were infuriated when they found out that not only were we married, but we were expecting a child together. Before they found out about my son, they tried to talk my husband out of marrying me. But he didn't listen, and they refuse to have anything to do with him and I. It's only a matter of time now that they have to wait for us to lose this building, so they can purchase it. They are just waiting for me to file for bankruptcy so they can gain it for themselves. They won't leave anything to me, nor will they compensate me for the damages that they have done to cause me to lose tenants," the landlady said.

Rowena thought about it for a moment before speaking up. "I can help you pay for the building to help you keep you and your son afloat, as well as help you pay off all your debt. The only thing I ask in return is you don't charge me for staying in your apartment."

"If you help me with paying my debt and help me keep my apartment building until, I manage to get myself in a comfortable place, where I'm not struggling, I will consider that as rent paid for a lifetime. You have no idea how much you would be helping me if you did that. But I also can't ask that of you if you don't have a job yet," the landlady said.

"I have more money than I could ever spend in a lifetime. I honestly wouldn't need to get a job if I don't want to. I choose to get a job to keep me busy, because if I'm not kept busy, bad things always seem to happen. And I' wouldn't want you to see that side of me anyway," Rowena explained. "Now wipe your eyes. You're no longer alone in this. You have an ally on your side. And your husband's family won't know what hit them."

"Are you sure you want to go up against these people? They're not exactly friendly," the landlady said.

"I'm not one to be pushed around. But if they want to play games, then let's play games. I'm guaranteed to beat them at their own game. Your husband's family just doesn't know it yet," Rowena said.

"You don't want to do anything to anger them. My husband's family will do anything and everything to make sure you pay if you do something wrong to them. If you're planning on attacking them then you either need to start planning your funeral, or don't bother unpacking your bags, because they will chase you down," the landlady said.

"Tell me where I can find them. I want to have a little chat with them," Rowena said. The landlady quickly wrote down what Rowena wanted before sliding the paper over to her. Rowena took it, looking it over quickly before turning her attention to the landlady again. "Thank you."

"I ask that you be careful around those people. They are no good. They always find ways to screw you over," the landlady warned.

"Let them try. If they do, they won't like the price that they have to pay," Rowena said before walking out of the apartment building.

The landlady stood there watching as Rowena walked away, unaware that her son was standing there watching Rowena walk away. "Don't worry mom. That woman is going to kick those miserable bastards asses."

"Andy, you know better than to speak like that," the landlady said.

"Says the woman who lied about losing another rental property to dad's bitch sister. All because again you couldn't afford to keep it out of their filthy hands," Andrew said.

"I tried! But your aunt Shelby is nothing but a lying snake who always has a trick up her sleeve to get what she wants," the landlady said.

"Yeah, it's called sucking her lawyers dick, so he can be motivated to put in extra work to get her anything that she wants. It's something that you refuse to do, which is why we are getting fucked over by dad's family," Andrew said.

Mae let out a sigh. "You know your grandmother would be damn proud of you; allowing your mouth run away with you. But she always did say that your aunt Shelby was a big whore running around spreading her legs at any given opportunity."

Rowena looked at the address before making her way to the place. After some time, Rowena managed to find the place and stood outside looking in at the group of people looking bored, with one smug person looking proud of herself as she sat at the head of the table, laughing at her own jokes, carrying on like she didn't have a care in the world. Enjoy your carefree lives, because you won't have a damn clue as to what is about to hit you, Rowena thought to herself, while reaching for her concealed weapon.

"Anytime now Mae will be too desperate for money that she can't pull together, and we shall gain the last building that Augustus owned. And we will be continuing our journey to the top, while Mae and her bastard son make their way to the bottom," Shelby said before noticing the blank look on her mother's face. "Oh mom, don't tell me that you are beginning to show sympathy for Mae. She's the reason that Augustus left us so suddenly. He wanted to be with a nobody like her, then marry someone who has the same status as us. He also knew that this is a dog-eat-dog world, and that we have to do all that we can to remain on top. But he still went against what daddy wanted."

"Despite the decision your brother made, he is still very much my child just like you are. And your father made the decision to cut him off, out of anger. Because of that decision, nor only did I lose a son, but I missed out on my grandson's entire life. He only knows terrible things about our family. He doesn't know about the good things that we have done," Betty Anne said.

"Oh mother, I'm sorry that you feel this way. But you still have a chance to have grandchildren. You have me, and Bryce. Bryce I'm sure will find a lovely man to settle down with. Oh, and you have Bryce's twin Derek who can also give you grandchildren, as well as keep our family name going strong," Shelby said.

"You refuse to have kids; Bryce is disgusted by what your father did and refuses to speak to any of us. And Derek, he's busy with his own personal projects that he refuses to tell anyone about. So, Mae is the only one who gave me what I wanted," Betty Anne said.