Chapter 10

That evening Rowena was sitting quietly on her couch enjoying a little quiet time while trying to shake the feeling that she had been found off. Rowena kept going over her options of what she should do next, when she was broken out of her thoughts by someone knocking on her door.

Who in the world could that be? I don't get any visitors, Rowena thought to herself as she got up, and slowly made her way to the door. Rowena opened the door and was shocked to be greeted by the sight of her neighbor, Carol Hamilton standing there. "Mrs. Hamilton, to what do I owe the pleasure of seeing you at my door?"

"Rowena, dear how many times do I have to tell you, call me Carol," Carol asked.

"Right. Carol, what brings you to my apartment," Rowena asked again.

"Alice told me that you had a bit of a bad start with her boyfriend. So, she thought it would be nice if we have a lovely dinner together at my apartment. I can get the chance to meet Jack and it can be an opportunity for you to get to know him better and show that you're not a bad person," Carol explained.

"Don't take this the wrong way Carol, but I think it would be for the best that I don't attend. I don't feel comfortable around the guy. When I met him for the first time on my way to work, I didn't get such a good vibe from him. Make sure you tell Alice to be careful around that one. I would hate to see her heart broken over a man who isn't worth it," Rowena said hoping to cut the conversation short. Unfortunately, Carol had a different idea.

"Please attend dinner tonight? It will do you some good. Besides, there is no reason to turn down a nice homecooked meal; and you don't have to worry about cooking or cleanup. It's already taken care of for you," Carol said knowing that she got Rowena on that.

Rowena rolled her eyes knowing that Carol caught her attention. "I'm not getting dressed up. What time do you expect me to be there?"

"Be there around 5pm. Or you can come over and hang around with Alice and I. No need to dress up. I think you look fine the way that you are now," Carol said.

"Now you're pushing your luck. I will be there at 5pm. No later than that. I like to be very prompt and don't believe in wasting any time," Rowena said before seeing Carol off. Once Carol was at her door, Rowena closed hers and made her way back to her couch, mentally preparing herself for dinner at the Hamilton household.

What have I signed up for? I'm simply putting myself at risk by allowing myself to hang around a dinner table where the queen's son will get a good view of me. No doubt that he will have a staring problem. Ugh, I just have to play it cool and try not to kill him while we're with the Hamilton's. But the moment we walk out of their apartment, and he tries anything funny, I'm ending his life before he has a chance to go back to the queen, and tell her anything about seeing me, Rowena thought to herself.

5pm rolled around and Rowena found herself knocking on the apartment door of the Hamilton household, waiting for one of them to answer the door.

Rowena was about to give up and make her way back to her apartment when the door swung open, revealing Carol standing there.

"Welcome Rowena. I was in the kitchen and Alice was finishing getting ready for when Jack arrived. Poor girl is nervous that something is going to ruin tonight," Carol explained.

"Understandable," Rowena replied.

Carol stepped aside allowing Rowena to step in. "Please come inside. Alice's boyfriend, Jack will be here soon."

Rowena walked into the apartment looking around. Once Carol closed the door, Rowena turned to face Carol. "Do you need any help cooking dinner?"

"Oh no dear. I could never ask that of you. You are my guest. Besides, I told you that you wouldn't have to worry about cooking or cleanup," Carol said.

"Well, I insist that you allow me to help you. You are allowing me to attend an important dinner, where you will be meeting your daughter's boyfriend for the first time. Allow me to repay the favor by helping you get ready for dinner and get the table set," Rowena insisted.

"Fine. But when it comes to cleanup, you leave that to Alice and I," Carol said before hearing another knock on the door.

Before Carol or Rowena could say anything, Alice rushed by saying that she got it. A few minutes later Alice walked into the kitchen with Jack following behind her.

"Mom, Rowena, this is my boyfriend, Jack Hart. Jack, this is my mother, Carol Hamilton; and you know Rowena from across the hall," Alice introduced.

"Pleasure to meet you Jack. Welcome to the apartment. How did you meet my daughter," Carol asked.

"I accidentally bumped into her while making my way to my meeting," Jack said.

Rowena rolled her eyes while turning to tend to the food that was cooking.

This action didn't go unnoticed by Alice as well as Jack. "Sorry about Rowena. She still has to warm up to you before you see how kind she really is."

"Alice why don't you and Jack take a seat at the table and allow Rowena and I bring the food to the table," Carol said.

"Mom, why would you make Rowena help you bring the food to the table? She's our guest too," Alice said.

"Rowena insisted that she helped set the table and dinner. I didn't see any point in arguing with her about this," Carol said as she and Rowena grabbed the food and brought it out to the table setting it down. Soon everyone sat down and started enjoying the meal and engaging in conversation together. Rowena mainly sat there listening to everyone else talk around her.

Everyone finished eating and continued to talk, while Rowena picked up her plate, placing it in the sink for Mrs. Hamilton.

"Mrs. Hamilton, do you mind if I use your restroom," Rowena asked.

"Go ahead dear. It's down the hall," Carol said.

Rowena made her way into the living room to walk down the hall, when she looked outside spotting men from Wonderland. I have to get out of here. That idiot led the queen's men to me, Rowena thought to herself before making her way back.

"On second thought, I should be leaving. Something suddenly came up that needs my attention," Rowena said in a panicked tone that Jack was quick to pick up on.

"I'll be a gentleman and escort the young woman back to her apartment. I want to be sure that she's safe. It was lovely to meet you, Carol. I hope we can do this again soon," Jack said while getting up making his way to the door with Rowena.

The moment that Rowena and Jack were away from Alice's door, Rowena spun around glaring at Jack. "You brought the men of the queen here. You led them to me."

"What are you talking about? I didn't do anything," Jack tried to keep from revealing that he too was from Wonderland.

Rowena glared at him, not buying the act that he was putting on. "Your acting skills suck."

"Wha-" Jack said only to be cut off by Rowena punching him before running off.