Chapter 3

Wow, look at the number of oysters this world has. Though it may be a bit difficult for me to blend in here. I'm nothing like these oysters. I can't worry about that right now, not when I need to find shelter in this strange world. I can worry about trying to blend in after I find a place to stay, Rowena thought to herself.

"Are you lost dear," someone asked from behind Rowena.

Rowena turned and looked at the person in shock for a moment before speaking up. "Huh?"

"I asked if you were lost," the woman asked again.

"I'm actually looking for a place to stay for a bit. But I don't know where to go from here," Rowena replied.

"Well, the apartment across the hall from my place is up for rent now. I can talk to the landlady for you if you're interested in renting it," the woman offered.

"No, I can speak to this landlady myself. Thank you though," Rowena said.

"I'm Carol, Carol Hamilton," Carol said.

"Rowena Williams. Pleasure to meet you, Carol," Rowena said.

"How about I walk with you to the building? I'm on my way home. I'm sure my daughter Alice is there already. She's around the same age as you. I bet the two of you would become fast friends," Carol said.

"Maybe after I speak with the landlady and get settled in, I can speak to your daughter and get to know her a bit," Rowena said as she and Carol walked together making their way to the building. Soon they arrived at the apartment building making their way inside.

Carol made her way up to her apartment leaving Rowena to go and speak with the landlady.

"There you are mom. I was beginning to grow worried about you. Normally you arrive home shortly after I do. Is everything alright? Did someone try to mug you," Alice asked worried.

"I'm fine honey. I was helping a new girl who is new to the neighborhood. Very quiet but very nice. I talked her into speaking with the landlady about renting the apartment across the hall from us," Carol explained.

"Mom, are you sure that she can afford that place? Is she planning on getting a roommate to move in with her," Alice asked.

"Honey, she's speaking to the landlady right now. She looks like she can drive a hard bargain; or get the rent brought down a bit. But as for the roommate thing, I think she prefers to be alone. She barely said a word to me on our way over here," Carol said.

"Let me guess, you told her that she and I would be good friends," Alice guessed.

"Yes. Oh, Alice the poor thing could use a familiar face. And you could make a new friend. I think she might be into karate too," Carol said.

"Let's let her settle in first. Then I will try and make friends with her. Do you know if she has a job or anything," Alice asked.

"I didn't think to ask. I didn't want to overwhelm the poor girl. Maybe we can run into her as she goes to enter the apartment," Carol suggested.

"Mom, you know we can't do that. What if we accidentally spook her," Alice said.

"You do have a point," Carol said.

Rowena looked around before entering the office, finding a young man standing behind the desk. "Hi. I would like to rent the vacant apartment."

The guy looked at Rowena before rolling his eyes. "Mom, you have someone who is interested in the newly vacant apartment."

"You couldn't have asked for their name," A woman asked while walking out from the back.

"I'm sorry, is now a bad time to inquire about the apartment? Because I can go and take my business elsewhere...somewhere where it's much more appreciated," Rowena said.

"Oh don't be silly. You have perfect timing. The other person who had shown interest in renting that apartment had seemed to have found one that better suit their every desire," the landlady said trying to keep the bitterness out of her tone.

"Lucky for you I'm easy to please. I just like a quiet place to call home. All I ask is that my new home is nice and cozy," Rowena said.

"Well, it is quiet. The Hamilton's are quiet people, who usually keep to themselves. But they're also very friendly, but not in an annoying way. But if you don't want neighbors, then I could try and look for another place that is more suitable for you to rent a place from," the woman said in a defeated tone.

"There is no need for that. I have already met Mrs. Hamilton. It's how I learned about your vacant apartment and became very much interested in renting it. I find her to be a sweet woman who is very kind. Almost like a motherly figure. I would enjoy having her as a neighbor," Rowena said.

"That's great! It will be fifteen hundred dollars, if you don't mind paying that. But everything is included. So no heating and cooling cost. No oil bills. Electric is taken care of," the woman explained.

"I don't care for television. And fifteen hundred dollars is nothing," Rowena said.

"Great. How long are you planning on staying? Can I interest you in staying for a year," the woman asked.

"As long as I see fit for me to stay here. And I'll pay you a little extra right now if you stop asking questions. I can tell that you need the extra money," Rowena said.

The landlady thought about it for a moment before speaking up. "A little extra cash would help me get ahead of the bills, which would be great. I wouldn't have to stress about angering my tenants by raising the rent, which would only make me lose more tenants. And that is something that I cannot afford. I'll take you up on your offer. But please keep this between us. I don't need people talking about this. I managed to keep my money struggles hidden from family, friends, tenants and everyone else who has such little faith that I can do this without my husband around."

This sentence caught Rowena's attention. "Did your husband walk out on you?"

"No. He got really sick and needed a lot of medical attention. I was working full time, while helping manage the building, as well as taking care of my family. Just as it seemed like I was getting somewhere financially, something else would happen, and I would be back at square one trying to figure everything out on my own again. My parents refuse to help me. They never approved of my husband and his stuck-up family. They said that I should find someone who could give me more than a man who was only beginning to get his feet wet in the business of becoming a landlord for the first time. But my husband was a very hard worker who didn't want to rely on his family's money to get him through becoming a successful landlord. He worked his way up to becoming a loved landlord, who took great care of all of his tenants. If something broke, he was on it. He always wanted the best for our tenants. All while tending to the apartment, he took on side jobs as well. He sacrificed so much so that our son and I wouldn't have to worry about money. But as things started looking good for us, my husband got sick with cancer. Then all the bills and responsibilities fell on me. I'm trying my best to keep the bills from piling up now. But they keep coming. And soon I'll lose this building," the landlady said while trying to keep the tears from falling.