Chapter 6: Safe

Delilah's pov

I wake up this morning feeling weirdly super comfortable and that's when I realise I'm laying on someone.

Robbie.

I didn't think I'd feel this comfortable around someone new so quickly. But even when I realise I'm laying on him I don't get up. Instead, even to my surprise, I snuggle back into him, resting my head on his chest this time and wrapping my arms around him gently.

It's like I didn't even think about it. It was just natural.

I don't fall back to sleep but I feel calm for once.

Usually after waking up and having a nightmare about.. that...through the night I'm really drained and end up really anxious and on edge all day, from the minute I wake up.

But for once I feel... okay.

With Robbie, I feel okay.

——————————————————

Robbie's pov

When I wake up I instantly feel weight on my chest. Then I remember Delilah's nightmare, I must've fallen asleep with her.

Feeling a little shuffle I notice she must be awake so I gently whisper "morning lilah", to which she snuggles in a little more which is utterly adorable, muttering back a "morning bee".

I laugh questioning "bee?!"

But she just giggles and says with her raspy morning voice "yeah like rob-BEE, bee, it's a nickname. wait do you not like it because I don't have to call you that, I can just say Robbie and that's okay-"

"Woah deep breaths honey, no need to panic, you can call me bee, nobody's ever called me that before and you know what? I love it"

"Really?" she looks up at me with watery eyes.

"Really" I repeat giving her a gentle look and leaning forward to peck her nose, hoping to get a smile back on her face. Which thankfully works and she lets out cute giggles.

I haven't known her long, but I love her as my own already. And I know it's a complicated situation. But to me she reminds me so much of Lizzie. Not only does she look like her but they're super similar in personality too.

Lizzie seems to think Delilah wants nothing to do with her, which honestly I don't know what to think. She left her, and I can't say whether that was a good or bad thing. She was young I get that, but she would've and will be an amazing mom. Plus I can't help but think something has gone on with Delilah that we don't know about. I mean her nightmare yesterday she was saying "don't hurt me" and things like that making my heart ache for her. Not to mention how quickly she panics when she thinks she's said something or done something to upset anybody. It worries me.

I've also seen how Delilah longs for Lizzie.  She wants a mothers comfort, that's clear to see. I think she's actively trying to distance from her because she's still mad or doesn't trust her yet. But it's not quite working.

So I'm just going to do my best to be there for Delilah the best I can, and I'm super thankful she's letting me right now. Because it feels a lot easier and safer to protect her when she's physically laying in my arms, and snuggling into my chest, so similar to what Lizzie loves to do.

———————————————————-
Lizzie's pov

I wake up once again alone this morning. It's not ridiculously early anymore though so I decide to just get up.

Before I walk downstairs I feel like I may aswell check on Robbie and Delilah, see if they're awake I suppose.

The door is still slightly open from earlier, so I just peek through the gap. I see them laying together once again, all cuddled up, and they look really happy.