Chapter 7: Fear

Delilah's pov

So Elizabeth rather rudely if you ask me, told me earlier this morning that we're going to her mom's for dinner tonight.

I've been in my room since I came up here, Robbie checked on me briefly but I just wanted to be alone and he thankfully respected that.

Honestly I'm sick of her just assuming things about me. She might be unsure about all of this. But I want to know my family. Sure that makes me incredibly anxious right now, but that doesn't mean I don't want to know them. Plus the twins were nice and it would be lovely to spend some more time with them.

I have no idea what time we're going though so I decide to go hopefully seek out Robbie since it's easier to hold a conversation with him right now.

When I get out of my room and somewhat down the stairs I notice they're both arguing. Not shouting. Just talking but not agreeing with each-other. About me. Obviously. That's all I seem to do is cause bother, whether I try or not.

R- "Lizzie you can't keep making decisions FOR her, you have to talk to her, find out what she wants to do, what she's comfortable with."

L- "I know that Robbie but it's a little difficult when she won't talk to me, what am I meant to do. It took 5 minutes for her to let you in and she's still shoving me out so, I don't think we can pin all the blame on me here."

R- "Lizzie she's hurt. You left her. At the end of the day, you don't know her because you chose to leave her. An-"

L- "don't you think I know that?"

R- "you don't factor that into the situation. You're blaming her for not letting you in, she's terrified of being hurt again, Liz. You're going to have to prove that you're not going to leave her again, before she actually trusts that fact."

L- "what so I'm just the bad guy who can't do anything right, yeah? Is that what you're saying?"

R- "You're impossible sometimes. Yeah, yeah you know what if that makes you think about how you can do better with her. Yeah. You've made the mistakes, stop trying to make her fix them."

Just as he says that he leaves out the front door, I'm going to assume to go on a walk, to cool off because he seemed to be pretty mad about the situation.

I haven't known Robbie long but he makes me feel listened to, and understood, and I'm glad he's telling Lizzie all the things I couldn't. Because here I am blaming myself, just like she is, and Robbie points out that it wasn't even my fault in the first place. I may be seventeen but I'm still the child, and Lizzie is the parent.

I'm about to turn around and go back upstairs, not wanting to show my face after witnessing that. But I hear gasping and unsteady breathing. When I look at Elizabeth she's having a panic attack.

Shoot. I'm not great with helping. Do I go help her? It would be rude to just leave her, she helped me the other day when I needed someone. But she literally hates me right now?

Shoving my thoughts down I nervously walk down the stairs, her head snaps up towards me.

D- "breathe Lizzie, you need to breathe, it's okay"

She's sat on the sofa so I lay down and gently try to direct her head to my chest so she can follow my heartbeat.

After around 10 minutes she seems to calm down but instead of pushing off of me as soon as she felt okay, like I did, she instead snuggles in closer and takes a long deep breath.

I don't want to be mean and push her off, am I annoyed at her right now? Yes. Do I forgive her yet? No. But I'm not heartless. And I can't pretend that I don't crave this kind of love. It's just constantly trying to remind myself that she's not going to hurt me, since that's happened with a lot of women in the past.