Chapter 12: Cutty Love

Delilah's pov:

So it's been a few days since Lizzie and I properly talked about some things, definitely not in detail, but enough for her to understand a little about what I have been through. And hopefully that allowed her to understand why I'm so hesitant and distant with her some of the time.

Despite not pushing her away lately, it's actually been a little strange the past few days. Lizzie's been acting a bit off with me.

Since I've known her she's actually been really sweet and always really tried to interact with me. It's not that she's being nasty to me now, she just has been avoiding me more than seeking me out. Honestly, I don't know how to react to it. I feel like it was just getting used to her being around, and now she's like here, but not really.

Maybe I scared her away when I told her all about my past, but her reaction really did seem genuine, so now I'm purely just confused.

Searching for a distraction, I go look for someone, whether that be Lizzie or Robbie, I'm actually not sure who's home right now.

Before I get to the top of the stairs, I hear a distant tune playing, resembling somewhat of a piano I think and a little mumble.

Assuming that Robbie must be either practising or just playing around, I decide to investigate anyway, thinking that'll play as a great distraction for my never-ending thoughts lately.

Something's off as soon as I get closer to the 'dedicated music room' in the house, some of the notes definitely sound offkey, and the voice I can hear singing is most certianly not the one belonging to Robbie.

I reach the door, which is cracked open a little, and I can see none other than Lizzie, sitting mindlessly playing with the piano keys, as she's gently singing:

I slip softly through
All my dreams my dear they are of
You (Ooh, ooh, ooh)
I slip softly through
All my dreams my dear they are of
You (Ooh, ooh, ooh)

Even if your heart stops
I'll be there to hold you up
Even as the world turns
I'll be there to watch the fire burn
Burn us both alive

At first, I don't think she notced my presence, because she doesn't falter in just seeming completely entranced by the words she was so softly uttering.

But I almsot choke on a breath when she turns to glance at me before contuining to sing the next lyrics:

I slip softly through
All I've waited for my dear is
You (ooh, ooh, ooh)
I slip softly through
Settling, my dear, till I found
You (ooh, ooh, ooh)

She doesn't take her eyes off me when she's singing "all i've waited for my dear is you," so clearly demonstarting her point that she's singing this song with me, and our relationship, in mind.

I can't help but remember the time on tv when someone decided to begin an interview by just singing to the interviewer, and I remember explicitly saying how awkward and embarrassing I'd find it. Like it's not a natural thing to know what to do when someone's expressing such beautifully crafted words to you specifically, and all you can and have to do is listen. It's a very sweet, and intimate thing. Something that I can clearly say I hadn't experienced at all until now.

But also knowing the fact that Lizzie is not confident in her singing abilities at all, yet she still wanted to be vulnerable and continue doing so, even when I entered, is something that's making this moment very admirable.

I, surprisingly, don't feel really uncomfortable by this, and instead I find my feet moving in the direction of the piano, and before I know it, I'm sitting at the bench next to Lizze.

I am absolutely by no means amazing at music. I learned to play the piano at school, and it's something I used to quite enjoy. I find it calming and like it gives me some time to just breathe, with no expectations.

So I join Lizzie in playing the notes, blending the sounds together, as we both finish the song, with our voices intertwining into one.

Time can over-complicate
But darling I refuse to wait
There's no way of planning
For the fall
All your paths will fade away
Questions read by years in pain
I can be the answer to it all

Even if your heart stops
I'll be there to hold you up
Even as the world turns
I'll be there to watch the fire burn
Burn us both alive

It'll burn
Burn us both alive
It'll burn, burn, burn, burn, burn
Burn us both alive

Once the song comes to an end, there's a pause between the two of us. I'm assuming neither of us quite know what to say right now to follow this moment.

It doesn't take long for a smile to creep up on my face though, just remembering the moment earlier, and me totally thinking this would be awkward.

When a chuckle leaves my mouth, Lizzie turns to me, seemingly anxious at my response. I mean teenagers kind of have a reputation for being rude, but surely she's aware that i wouldn't have joined in, if I didn't like her singing.

D: "Who would've thought it would be us two in here, where's the musical genius when you need him?"

Lizzie laughs at that but doesn't respond, a silent understanding that I was just trying to reassure her.

D: "Actually um, I've been meaning to talk to you Zee.."

L: "Okay, what about baby?"

D: "Well, is everything okay? Just ever since we had that talk a few days ago, you've been sort of distant, I suppose. I just, wanted to tell you, that, what happened is not your fault. Not at all, I know you're an overthinker, but I can't allow you to pin the blame on yourself.."

L: "Oh you don't have to worry about me, everything's.. fine."

D: "Mmm."

L: "It's just that it all comes back to the fact that I decided to leave you. Like if i had of just kept you and worked something out with my mom then you wouldn't have had to go through any of that. So it is my fault, one way or another."

I can't help but place my hand on top of hers where it's resting, wanting to offer her some comfort if i can. But as quickly as I put my hand down, she moves hers from under mine, mumbling she's sorry.

I can't stop the tears that come to my eyes at the rejection, i've not had the chance to really be around her lately, and despite me not being quite decided on where my relationship stands with her, one thing i've always craved is my mother's touch and comfort.

Why's it always down to me to fix my broken relationships with the mother figures in my life?

———-
SORRY ABOUT THE LONG WAIT GUYS

HOPE EVERYONE IS WELL🤍