Romeo Holmes and Juliet Moriarty p5

Sherlock's jaw drops but he quickly closes his mouth and rubs the back of his neck.
"I guess I should elaborate. I find that I don't look much like my father or either of my uncles. After seeing old photos of my grandparents I don't resemble them either. Naturally I assumed then that I look like my mother."
"If so, what prompted you to believe you were adopted?"
"No one knows anything about her. Surely if I was a true Moriarty he would know something of my mother and conception. He is not the sort to have a drunken one night of passion."
Sherlock frowns but nods in agreement. He didn't want to be the bearer of bad news.

Juliet sighs and looks away. "Therefore I have come to the conclusion that I was in fact adopted. I just hoped you would have a definitive answer, seeing as how you've known me my whole life."
"That I have. But I'm not the person who should be answering this question. Liam should be the one."
The girl frowns and clenches the skirt of her dress. "I guess so."
"Anyways, since you're here let's enjoy our time." Sherlock ruffles the girl's hair and gestures to her tea.
She nods and takes a sip of her tea.

Although after they enjoy their tea, or rather Juliet enjoying the tea while the detective plays the violin, they jump right into his latest experiments.
Mrs. Hudson was fully against the man dragging the child into his chaos, but reluctantly conceded when Juliet assured the woman she was fine and offered her assistance.
Sherlock looks at the girl, and although she does not resemble the blonde physically, she does when she is focused on pouring liquid from one beaker to another.
When she holds a clipboard in one hand and her eyes are hard from concentration.
Her little mannerisms and tendencies are definitely from the professor's influence.

It was only the first day and already Juliet was having a blast.
She felt free not being forced to study or do lessons for hours on end.
No social gatherings she needed to dress up for and fake interest in whatever bollocks stories and lies the other noble child spew at her.
Sherlock is a change of pace she could get used to.
If her and Romeo were to...
Juliet frowns and shakes her head. She knew it was a bad idea to fall for the boy because of who his father is.

She couldn't help it though!
Romeo is kind and smart and handsome.
They could be happy together if society would allow, if she were not who she is.
If only she knew how the boy felt, it would be so much easier.
Sherlock looks at the girl as she spaces out. He snaps his fingers and Juliet comes back.
"Mr. Holmes?"
"Yes?"
"Does Romeo speak of our time together?"
"Does he talk about you? Yes. He rather enjoys your company more than mine." Sherlock confirms and smiles softly.

Juliet smiles as well.
"He's a good kid. Despite his lack of deductive abilities."
"I find it to be refreshing for someone like him to be so passionate about his studies of Math and Science. Father has enjoyed their time together, as far as I'm aware at least."
"I remember when I helped Liam find out who his mystery test taker was. Turned out to be a boy from the working class but he was very intelligent. The poor kid was so distressed when we confronted him."
"Bill right? I remember hearing about him."
Sherlock nods and smiles, thinking about that day.

As the night drew near Sherlock leads Juliet to Romeo's room.
"I hope you don't mind sleeping in my son's room."
"I don't. Thank you." Juliet looks around the room.
"Try not to snoop too much. I'm sure he would be very embarrassed to know a lady went through his drawers."
Juliet laughs softly. "I don't pry Mr. Holmes."
"Ah yes, I'm sure you don't. You are a lady after all. If you need anything John is in the next room and Mrs. Hudson and I are on the floor down."
"If I wish to have warm milk may I have permission to make myself some?"
"If you want some now I could ask Mrs. Hudson to make you some. I'm sure she'd be happy to."
"I wouldn't want to bother her now. She's been asleep for many minutes now. I am capable of doing it myself."

Sherlock frowns but nods. "Go ahead then."
Juliet smiles and nods.
After she changes into a nightgown the two walk to the kitchen and the girl frowns as she gather the items she needs.
"If you have come to make sure I don't burn the house down you needn't worry. I am-"
"I thought nothing of the sort. I actually hoped you would make enough for two. I hear it helps with falling asleep."
"Uncle Louis makes some for me every night and it does wonders. I will drink it in bed while he sits in the bed with me and pets my hair. He is very soothing and a deep comfort."
The detective frowns. "Are you asking me to-"
"Of course not. As I stated earlier I do not wish to overstay my welcome, especially not to request something so informal."

Sherlock crosses his arms. "I never really read Romeo bedtime stories like most parents. Mrs. Hudson and John probably did. Nor am I very affectionate but I guess I could make an exception for you. Then when you get home you can tell Liam I was a perfect gentleman."
Juliet giggles and nods. "He knows you would never do anything to me. You are a good and honorable man. You care about people but hate socializing, something us Moriarty's know very well."

The two drink their milk then walk back to the boy's room.
Juliet lays in the bed and yawns.
Sherlock sits in the bed with her and wraps his arm around her shoulders, letting her lean against him.
She's so small and dainty. He thinks to himself.
The man runs his pinky from the top of her forehead down her nose.
It may be the oldest trick in the book, and mostly used on infants but it still works.
"Sweet dreams," she whispers.
Her eyes close and soon enough she's fast asleep.
Sherlock looks down at the girl and smiles softly. He couldn't believe how today had turned out.
Liam, I wonder how you're doing.