ten

CHAPTER TEN

VICTORIES AND LOSSES

LILY HAD WOKEN up bright and early the next morning so Susannah could begin painting her portrait of Lily.

Susannah wanted to do Lily's last since the girl had been distant towards her lately and she wanted to spend time with Lily and only Lily.

The Scott girl had finished applying the small amount of makeup she felt she needed to bring back the life to her before she tiptoed out of her room with her debutante dress on.

Once Lily knew both Sophie and Gwen remained sound asleep, she turned to be met with Jeremiah and Belly, the latter wearing only a towel to cover her body.

"Hey Lily." Belly greeted as she offered the girl a kind smile but Lily didn't have the energy or care to give the girl one in return.

"Susannah's painting my portrait this morning, so if you'll excuse me." Lily muttered out as she walked towards the stairs.

"Are you seriously mad at me? So what I forgot your birthday, the world doesn't revolve around you." Belly scoffed causing Lily to stop and look at the girl with a glare that made Jeremiah breathe in and look away.

"No but it revolves around you, huh?" Lily remarked before she scoffed.

"You know, I expected Jeremiah to forget my birthday but I would have never thought you of all people would forget." Lily sighed sadly.

"I guess we weren't as close as I thought we were." Lily shrugged before descending down the stairs without giving Belly a chance to say anything back.

"You forgot her birthday?" Belly asked in relief, feeling better that she wasn't the only one who forgot the girls birthday.

"No, I remembered. I had Caleb give her my gift." Jeremiah explained before pushing himself off of the wall.

"Good luck today, Bells." Jeremiah forced a smile before entering his room and closing the door behind him, leaving Belly alone in the hallway.

-

Lily sat outside as the sun beamed down on her and a sigh of relief escaped past her lips as she soaked in the sun's rays.

"Are you excited for today's Volleyball tournament?" Susannah asked, wanting to make conversation with Lily.

"I think I'm gonna sit this one out. I'm not much of a volleyball girl and I'd rather not embarrass myself in front of the entire club." Lily laughed at the thought.

"If I remembered correctly, you almost made captain of the Volleyball team if you hadn't chosen Track." Susannah pointed out with a knowing smirk.

"That was long time ago." Lily shook her head with a small smile.