Chapter Five: Meet the Boyfriend

"Get off me." Bucky growls, trying to yank his arm out of Chuck's grip. The boyfriend smirks but doesn't let go, Bucky tries to get him off again.

"Mom! Mom, wake up!" Bucky yells desperately, using any attempt to get away. Wake his mother and suffer the wrath of disturbing her alcohol filled drinking, and therefore the wrath of Chuck? Guess it was worth it.

Chuck clamps a hand over Bucky's mouth, the brunette screams and struggles. He bites Chuck's hand hard and the boyfriend yelps, yanking his hand away from him. Bucky scrambles away, shaking but standing his ground. His mom hadn't woken, so she was a real help.

Thanks, ma. Remind me to never come home again. Bucky thinks bitterly as he races up the stairs and into his room. He slams the door shut firmly with his left arm, and small hairline cracks appear in the wood frame. He swears and tosses himself down onto the bed, burying his face in the pillow.

He rolls over and takes his jacket off, revealing his t-shirt underneath. On his left side, a shining, silver metal arm. He pulls the sleeve all the way up, showing off all of it.

He wrinkles his nose in disgust, glaring down at his arm. He got it during a freak accident, a train ride with his father. He still remembered that day, this many years ago.

They were on their way to visit Bucky's grandfather, who'd fought in the second world war. Just him and his dad, his mother had wanted to stay behind and mind the house herself. His father had gone up front, told him, "stay here, James, I'll be right back," but he never came back. The train went off course, the side scraped against the rock. The whole side came tearing off, with a squealing, screeching noise. Bucky had gotten jostled around, and fell out. He remembered seeing someone standing there, reaching out for him and calling his name, but he couldn't for the life of him know who it was. He lost his arm in the fall, was found by some Russians, and delivered safely back home. But he never saw his father again. His mother fell into depression; drinking and smoking, dating "hot men".

Bucky sighs and pulls out one of his comics, he reads it quietly. A knock on the door is what rouses him, he sighs and gets up, placing his comic on the bed. Opening the door he sees Chuck, red in the face and fuming. Bucky backs up into his room, Chuck scared him. Bucky was such a scared boy; at school, at home, nowhere was safe for him. But he shoved down his emotions, kept them hidden and didn't let anyone close to his heart.

"Get the ____ outta here. Right now." Bucky demands, trying to keep the shaking out of his voice. Chuck smirks and keeps advancing, closing the door behind him. Bucky swallows and backs up against the wall, now with nowhere to go.

"Shouldn't swear, kid." Chuck smirks, and he just keeps coming. Bucky braces himself and seconds later he feels the fist slam into his gut, he groans and leans over, clutching at it. He coughs and swings a punch at Chuck, who catches his fist and squeezes it tightly. Bucky swears at himself in his head, he punched with his right hand.

Chuck knees Bucky in the gut then slaps him in the face, Bucky was on his knees now, gagging. Chuck kicks him in the side before waddling back out, burping the scent of beer. Bucky moans, lying on his side. His vision was blurred, he blinks rapidly to try to clear it.

Bucky whimpers softly and shuts his eyes tightly, a soft knock on his door sounds and he growls low in his throat.

"Go away!" He screams, his voice hoarse. The floor outside the door creaks quietly then all goes still. Bucky's lower lip was trembling, he bites it hard to keep from crying. He had to be tough, keep those walls up, and don't let anyone in. He doesn't move from his spot on the ground, curled up tightly. He closes his eyes and sniffles, a few tears slip out of his eyes and down his face.

____________________________________________________________________________

Steve was outside Bucky's door, considering entering or not. He had knocked but all he got was a shout in response.

"Bucky?" Steve calls softly, a sniffle sounds.

"I said go away, Steve." Bucky growls loudly, Steve sighs.

"I'm coming in." Steve says quietly, opening the door. Bucky didn't even feel as if he had the strength to move, so Steve came in to see him on the floor. He squats down beside Bucky, who squeezes his eyes shut tighter. He tries not to break down in front of Steve, breathing deeply through his nose.

Steve gently lays a hand on Bucky's shoulder and the brunette flinches.

"What happened to you?" Steve asks softly, Bucky hides his face and doesn't answer. At least not right away. When he's finally ready to talk, ready to open up, he swallows and struggles to sit up.

"You want to know why I'm so secretive? You wanna know how I get hurt? My ma's boyfriend beats me. Ma doesn't know 'cause she's an alcoholic. My dad died in a train accident, and that's how I got this." Bucky says softly, turning to show Steve his metal arm.

"I hate it." He huffs in disgust.

"Can I...?" Steve trails off, motioning to Bucky's arm. Bucky swallows and nods slowly, blanching somewhat. He moves his fingers down Bucky's arm gently, and the brunette is awash with a feeling for Steve, a special one he's never felt for anyone else before. Steve was still examining Bucky's arm with a sense of awe, a look of care for some reason. Bucky stares at the blonde, confused as to why he was feeling this way.

Do I have a crush on Steve Rogers?