Chapter Sixteen: Adoption and Plays

After he's all patched up Bucky thanks Steve, who nods.

"So you can stay here for the night." Steve informs him, Bucky nods.

"Thank you." He sighs gratefully, rubbing his neck with his flesh hand. Steve nods and stretches, he closes the window and locks it. He walks over to his bed and climbs in, motioning for Bucky to join him. The brunette climbs in and cuddles up beside him.

"You know if Ms. Hilda saw us, we'd both be dead. Right?" Bucky asks quietly, his back pressed up against Steve's chest. Steve nods and sighs softly, Bucky yawns quietly.

"Oh, probably." Steve hums, closing his eyes. Bucky smirks and shakes his head slightly, letting his eyes slide shut, he was truly exhausted.

"Night Stevie." Bucky mumbles, feeling safe and warm and wanted.

"G'night, Buck." Steve yawns, falling asleep quickly. Bucky smiles to himself and quickly falls asleep as well.

Early in the morning Ms. Hilda comes in to check on Steve, she sees an unruly mop of brown hair next to the blonde head of hair she knew to belong to Steve and smiles knowingly to herself before closing the door and letting them rest.

Bucky's eyes flicker open and he yawns widely, he feels Steve stir slightly then go still. Bucky carefully detaches himself from Steve's arms, which were wrapped around his waist. The brunette slides off of the bed and looks back at Steve to make sure he didn't wake him.

The blonde was still sleeping, his mouth hung open slightly and he looked peaceful. Bucky smiles before opening the window and leaving the orphanage.

Hours later the adoption was going to be taking place, Steve nervously fixes his hair and lets out a breath he had been holding. Ms. Hilda smoothes out his shirt and fixes his hair for him.

"Now where's that smile, Steven?" She asks, looking at his face. He forces a small smile onto his face and she nods, ushering him into the small meeting room.

"It'll be fine." She assures before closing the door. Steve swallows and takes a seat, tapping his legs with his fingers as he waits for the couple to arrive. The door creaks open and the couple eventually comes in.

A tall man with a head of thick black hair sat down in one of the seats, he had kind brown eyes and the slightest shadow of a beard, he looked to be in his late twenties. A woman with a round race sits beside him, she had wavy brown hair that went down past her shoulders and bright blue eyes. They both smile kindly at Steve and that quickly puts him at ease, makes his smile that much more natural.

"You're Steve?" The woman cooes softly, her voice was light and airy. Steve nods and the man nods as well.

"I'm Angie and this is my husband, Theo." She introduces. Steve nods again and starts to tell them about himself, as Ms. Hilda informed him to. They talk for an hour, then the couple leave. Steve breathes out and leans back in his seat, he was smiling. Ms. Hilda comes in and collects him.

Steve heads out to see Bucky, he charges down the stairs, out the door and down the second flight of stairs. He wore a large grin on his face. After fifteen minutes, about, he found Bucky's place. Steve steps up and knocks on the door, waiting patiently for someone to answer. After waiting a while he knocks again.

"I'm comin', I'm comin', keep your shirt on!" Bucky's loud reply comes from inside, the sound of thudding comes after as the brunette hurries down the stairs. The door swings open and reveals a still Bucky at the door with dripping wet hair and damp clothes.

"Hey, Steve. What's so important, I was in the shower." Bucky asks, taking a towel and drying his hair.

"I got adopted." Steve breathes out, smiling. Bucky stops and looks at him.
"Really? Steve, that's awesome!" He beams at his boyfriend.

"Yeah. I just wanted to tell you." Steve hums, his blue eyes shining.

"I'm glad you did. It's about time." Bucky replies, smiling softly and leaning against the door frame. Steve nods and shoves his hands in his pockets.

"Oh, my parents got arrested." Bucky adds, Steve raises his eyebrows and looks alarmed.

"What? When, why?" Steve asks, frowning.

"Last night. I've got foster parents now, they're pretty nice." Bucky muses, Steve watches him.

"...oh. I, uh, I'm not sure how to respond to that..." Steve says slowly, Bucky shrugs and crosses his arms.

"I don't have to worry about them anymore. No big deal." Bucky shrugs again. Steve stares at him and nods slowly.

"Okay. Then I'm glad for you." Steve says, Bucky smirks. He ruffles Steve's hair.

"Thanks." He hums, Steve huffs and fixes his hair, he nods and puts his hands back in his pocket.

"You ready for the play tomorrow?" Bucky checks, Steve nods.

"You betcha." He replies, he looks down at his watch and sighs.

"I gotta go, Buck, sorry." Steve sighs, Bucky pouts and pulls a puppy dog face.

"Really? But I'm so lonely here." He whines, looking up at Steve. The blonde rolls his eyes and sighs deeply.

"Fine. Those puppy eyes won't work next time." Steve says, Bucky grins.

"Sure, sure." He replies, letting Steve into the house. They practice their lines, Steve teaches him how to draw penguins, they give sass and basically just act like the couple they are. Steve got to meet Bucky's foster parents and they were pretty nice, Martha and Ted were their names and they treated Bucky properly. They liked Steve too and let him stay for dinner, it wasn't awkward like Steve thought it would be but it was fun and everyone enjoyed themselves, especially Bucky. His life was finally coming together and everything was finally working out; the bully situation, his parents, his smoking problem, everything. And he was glad for that.