Chapter Seven: Plans for the Dance

"Are you seriously thinking of going?" Bucky hisses at Steve, leading him through the halls to find their first class.

"What's it matter? It's only a dance. Besides, I haven't been to a school dance before and I'd like to try." Steve huffs back, thrown off by Bucky's behavior. Bucky lets out a slow breath and shakes his head, sighing.

"It's just, those things can be so stupid. I once asked this gal to a dance, she was super popular. She stood my up in front of everyone. It was so ____ embarrassing." Bucky mutters, running a hand through his hair. Steve sighs and goes to reply but Bucky pushes his way through the classroom door.

He partially told Steve the reason he shouldn't go, but didn't tell him everything. Mainly, he didn't want to see Steve waltzing around the room with a dame attached to him, it would just be heartbreaking for him. It was jealousy, and he knew he shouldn't be jealous, Steve likes ladies, he knows that, but still.

Steve follows him into class, sitting down in his seat just as class begins. Clint and Natasha were passing notes to one another, whispering. Bruce was fiddling with what looks like a miniaturized weapon, Tony was shooting spit wads at the back of Rumlow's head. Fury, however, was oblivious to this as he spewed random pointless facts about Germany, their new topic of discussion. Steve looks around quickly and scribbles a note for Bucky, passing it to the brunette.

Bucky opens it up and reads the words in his head.

(So, if I find you a partner for the dance, you gonna go? - Steve)

Bucky rolls his eyes and bites his lip thoughtfully, thinking of something to write back. He finally settles on something and scratches it on the back of the note.

[Who knows? If you can find a partner for me, whoop dee do. Doesn't matter to me, punk- Bucky]

He slips it onto Steve's desk and out of the corner of his eye watches Steve's eyes dart over the paper. He smirks when he sees the corner of Steve's mouth rise a little as he smiles slightly, scribbling something back hurriedly. Fury drones on, deaf to the whispering and giggling of his "attentive" class.

(Whatever, jerk. If it doesn't matter to you, then how about Carol Danvers? - Steve)

Bucky raises an eyebrow and turns his head to try to glare a hole through Steve's skull. The blonde was pointedly staring straight ahead, a smirk struggling to stay off his face. Bucky huffs something and hastily writes something back.

[Shut your big-___ mouth, Rogers. Since you're so interested in my date life, how 'bout I arrange yours? You should totally go with Natasha. She wouldn't kill you for that, heavens no- Bucky]

Steve suppresses a laugh that was threatening to burst free, clamping a hand over his mouth. Fury looks over at him, his one good eyelid nearly shut with boredom.

"Mr. Rogers, you having a little trouble there?" He asks in a bored voice, watching the younger boy suppress laughter. Bucky smirks at Steve and shrugs his shoulder the tiniest bit.

"Mr. Fury, sir, can I go get a drink?" Steve squeaks out, trying to keep from bursting out loud and disrupting the class. Fury sighs, rolls his eye and nods, Steve scrambles from his seat and races out to the nearest water fountain. Bucky rolls his eyes, smiling with satisfaction. The class continues on, and Steve soon comes back with water on his lips, a twinkle in his eyes and rosy cheeks. He sits down in his chair, still smiling from the laughter that he let escape when he was well away from the classroom.

Later, the class ends and everyone scurried out the door. Steve came over and socked Bucky on the arm, the right one.

"Hey!" Bucky exclaimed, rubbing his arm. He was smiling somewhat, though, the punch didn't even hurt. Which proved that Steve wasn't too mad.

"You jerk! You made me look like a fool!" Steve whines, leaning his head back. Bucky punches Steve back lightly on the arm, rolling his eyes.

"Well, you never should'a paired me with Danvers." Bucky reasoned, shrugging his flesh shoulder. Steve quirks an eyebrow up with a smirk, that one move that made Bucky fall head over heels in love for the guy. Even more so than he already did.

They walk through the hall to their next class, discussing the dance and if they actually go or not. They land on the topic of who to take.

"So, if you do go... who would you go with?" Steve asks, cocking his head at Bucky as they walk. Bucky lets out a slow breath and scratches the back of his neck with his metal hand, shrugging.

"I don't know... it all depends on who asks me." He muses, his gaze turning to look at Steve. That was his message, his secret message to Steve, silently telling him that he rolled the other way.

Steve looks at him and runs a hand through his own golden hair, nodding. He thought he mistook the message. He saw the look in Bucky's eyes, he understood the unasked question. But he couldn't tell if that was in his head or actually there.

"Who knows? Maybe someone is thinking it over right now... maybe they just haven't decided when to ask, or if they're the right person." Steve replies, that was his message to Bucky just in case what he saw was real. But if not, no harm done, that sounds like a legit question. Bucky's hopes rise a bit but he forces them down, telling them to wait. Just a little bit more, wait.

They make it to their next class and it goes swimmingly, no mistakes or mishaps this time. In drama they go over their skit ideas, their outfits, their many, many lines, the props. It all had to be absolutely perfect for performance night.