9. Green Eyed Glances.

The sun cast a warm, golden glow over Hailee's sprawling mansion, illuminating her lush poolside haven. Hailee lounged in a comfortable chair, her oversized sunglasses shielding her eyes from the bright Californian sun. By her side, Martini, her spirited Yorkshire Terrier, wagged her tail expectantly. Chloe, Hailee's ever-present confidante and manager, leaned against the pool's edge, a hint of concern etched on her face.

"Hailee, you've got another film offer," Chloe finally ventured, her voice laced with a touch of uncertainty.

Hailee sighed, her fingers absentmindedly stroking Rocky's soft fur. "I'll think about it."

Chloe couldn't help but roll her eyes. "Come on, Hails! You can't keep rejecting films without even reading the scripts."

A flicker of annoyance passed over Hailee's face. "Okay, fine. Hand me the script."

Chloe hesitated, her cheeks reddening slightly. "I-uh-They haven't given us the script yet, but they said it'll reach you day after tomorrow."

Hailee reclined back into her chair, her sunglasses hiding her eyes. "See, Chloe? It's not about my career. You all just want to do exactly the opposite of what I like."

Chloe sighed, rubbing her neck in embarrassment. "Alright, I'm sorry. But you've previously rejected two offers without reading the script, and I thought you might do the same this time."

"That's what I said," Hailee huffed.

"Please, Chloe," Hailee continued, "if you keep talking about work and stuff, I might have to stop coming to my own house. Just let me be for a while. I'm not a child."

Hailee's musings were abruptly interrupted by a warm, familiar voice. "Hey, who's messing with my lil' sister?"

Hailee turned in surprise to see her brother, Griffin, standing at the patio entrance. Excitement surged through her as she dashed toward him, leaving Martini to bounce around in ecstatic circles.

"I missed you, too," Griffin chuckled, giving her a tight hug.

"How was your trip? Did you win?" Hailee inquired eagerly.

Griffin grinned. "I did. I was the runner-up."

Hailee beamed with pride for her racing-champion brother.

Griffin raised his brow to greet Chloe. "How are you?"

Chloe, still recovering from the previous conversation, managed a weak smile. "Have seen better days."

Curious about what was going on, Griffin probed gently. "What's up?"

Chloe began to explain, but Hailee interjected, her protective instincts kicking in. "Let him breathe, Chloe. Are you hungry, bro? Let's grab some pizza."

And with that, they left the poolside retreat, bound for a delicious slice of family time.

~~~~~~~~

Hailee and Griffin were at a cozy pizza place, indulging in their favorite slices. Hailee's excitement about spending time with her brother was evident as they chatted about this and that, catching up on each other's lives.

They had already placed their orders and were waiting for the mouthwatering pizzas to arrive. Hailee was regaling Griffin with stories about her recent adventures and misadventures, including her encounters with her mother and the unexpected friendship she'd formed with Chloe.

In the midst of their conversation, Hailee's phone started to ring. She glanced at the screen and noticed it was Emily's phone specifically. For a moment, she debated whether to answer it, given the tension between her mother and herself.