13. Dilemma Escalating

The Parisian breeze carried an unusual tension as Y/N, weighed down by his worries, encountered Hailee at the hospital lounge. Her unexpected presence disrupted his solitude, and he was visibly surprised.

"Hey, Y/N? What are you doing here?" Hailee's voice was a blend of curiosity and concern as she walked toward him.

Y/N sighed, his mind preoccupied with his mother's health. "Hailee, I'm already worried," he replied, attempting to dismiss her.

"Worried? What's wrong? Everything alright?" Hailee inquired, genuine worry etched on her face.

Y/N sighed again, realizing he couldn't evade the conversation. "My mom is in OT. She had a heart attack."

Hailee sat beside him, sympathy in her eyes. "I am so sorry, Y/N. She will be alright," she offered a reassuring smile.

"Thanks," he muttered in gratitude. Wanting to change the subject, he asked, "What are you doing in Paris?"

Her casual response carried an undertone of arrogance that unsettled Y/N. "Come on, Y/N. I'm a busy person. I keep traveling countries," Hailee chuckled, oblivious to the impact of her words.

"I gotta go," Y/N stated, feeling a growing discomfort.

"Wait a minute," Hailee insisted, seeking a chance to explain. He raised his brow, urging her to continue. "You know, if you need any help, I'd be happy to help," she offered with a sincere smile.

"Thanks, but I don't need any," Y/N replied, forcing a smile.

"You are too modest. I mean, I can help you with the hospital bills and stuff," Hailee continued, unaware that her kindness was digging into Y/N's pride.

Frustration built up in him, but he restrained himself. "Hailee, why are you here? What do you want from me? Why are you always trying to make me feel inferior and act so sweet when, in fact, you are not?" Y/N's voice carried a subtle anger.

Hailee attempted to defend herself, "Y/N, I was just trying to hel—"

"I don't need your help. I don't know you, and I'm not interested in doing so. Please leave me alone," Y/N interrupted, standing up to distance himself.

"Y/N, I'm sorry. Just listen to me," she pleaded, reaching out to hold his arm but quickly retracting as she sensed his discomfort.

"Listen. I just want to help you, okay? I don't want you to feel inferior or anything. I'm so bad at making conversations; I guess I said something wrong that hurt you. But I promise that wasn't my intention," Hailee explained, genuine regret in her eyes.

Y/N sighed, recognizing a sincerity in her words. "Alright. So you want to help me? But why? We barely know each other," he said, still skeptical.

"Y/N, I-I-I-I like you," Hailee admitted, her confession hanging in the air. Y/N, however, dismissed it with a scoff.

"What kind of sick joke is this? You don't even know me, nor do I know you," he retorted, his frustration reaching its peak.

"But I'd love to," Hailee said, her feelings laid bare.

"I'm sorry, Hailee. I have a girlfriend," Y/N said abruptly, leaving her sitting alone on the bench, her eyes welling up with tears. Jealous of herself, Hailee contemplated emotions she never thought she'd experience.

As Y/N's words lingered in the air, a heavy silence settled around Hailee. Shock painted her features, a collision of disbelief and realization. The weight of his rejection sank into her, bringing forth a wave of confusion and a poignant sense of irony.

Unbeknownst to Y/N, the very girlfriend he spoke of was the person standing before him in a covert guise. Tears welled up, reflecting the complexity of emotions within her. She felt the bizarre ache of longing for someone who, from Y/N's perspective, was a completely different person. The irony wasn't lost on her — she was unknowingly competing with herself.
As Y/N left, the empty bench cradled her conflicted thoughts. Hailee sat there, wrestling with the fragments of her own heart, a canvas painted with the colors of love and an intricate web of her own creation.