A Merchant's Tale

Riding in the back of the open carriage, Reito, and Ahri were getting close to their destination.

Woman: I'm thankful you offered to help.

Reito: There's no need to thank me. It's my duty as a Hero to save those in need.

Ahri: We'll solve your problem.

Woman: I'm glad to hear that.

Reito: You mentioned that the merchant is a survivor. What do you mean by that, exactly?

Woman: I only know a few details. When he was traveling, he hired guards for his travel. Crossing the plains of Melromarc took an unexpected toll and he ended up getting lost in the forest. His party was attacked in the dark of night. His guards were overwhelmed and slain. It was only after reaching our village the monster stopped hunting.

Reito: It sounds like a normal monster to me.

Woman: That's the problem. This monster... It's not normal.

Reito: What do you mean? It overpowered his guards, correct? It's easy for some species of monsters to do that.

Woman: The guards the merchant had hired were all equipped with 2nd class armor and weapons. Each one of them was also capable of casting high levels of magic. But even with that, they were slain.

This made Reito look back at Ahri before starting the conversation again.

Woman: I turned to you Heroes because you're the only ones that can solve this problem.

Reito: I have a better understanding now. How far from the village?

Woman: We'll be there shortly.

It wasn't long before the path took them deep into the forest. In the distance, a wooden gate with torches on the outside. The gates were pulled open as the carriage was driven inside. They came to a stop and everyone hopped out of the carriage.

???: Anna? You're back. And you brought guests.

Anna: More than that, Jensen.

Reito: We heard about your problem. We came to bring peace to your village again.

Jensen: Tch!

He shrugs in disapproval before turning his back and walking away.

Reito: What's his problem?

Anna: Forgive Jensen. After our efforts have failed, he's given up hope to fight this creature. He tried to leave the village for good, but he was denied.

Reito: Why?

Anna: He was outvoted. Our elders didn't want to increase the death toll. No one has been allowed to leave or go out.

Reito: What about you? You left.

Anna: Unless the elders are in FULL agreement, they decide who comes and goes.

Reito: Hm.

Reito felt a bit suspicious about that entire decision for some unknown reason. Deciding who leaves and enters certainly raises questions that need to be asked. But that can wait.

Reito: So where is this merchant?

Anna: He's in the main inn. The attack left him shaken beyond relief. He won't talk about the attack with anyone. Not even the elders. That's another reason why I needed the help of a Hero.

Reito: We'll talk to him. We'll make sure that he tells us what he knows. Where is the inn?

Anna: I'll take you there. Follow me.